Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just sent a friend in the Boston area (Charlestown) a Panasonic TU-DST50 tuner. Does anyone know how difficult reception of DTV channels is there?

Since he might be moving soon, he is not yet prepared to install a professional antenna. Any chance of getting something with an indoor antenna?

What kind of indoor antennas would you recommend?

Regards, Peter

·
Registered
634 Posts
In theory, he should be able to get at least a couple stations, including CBS, which is where most of the action is. I get CBS okay with an indoor antenna, and live even further away from the tower. However, in the city, multipath is more of a problem. His antenna needs would be much different than mine, so I can't recommend a specific model.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
We get channel 4-cbs, 5-abc and 7-nbc as well as some others (HSN) in Beacon hill in a tough location (bottom condo, no clear view) with a HiPix and radio shack double bowtie. Channel 4 can be touchy (can't walk in front of antenna, pixelates sometimes), 5 is usually pretty good, and we never watch 7. We have to adjust the bowtie for each channel. The double bowtie is cheap, so that is a good start. We tried the megawave, the antenna from england (forget name) and a single bowtie with mixed results (M-wave is 2nd best, pretty good, but more prone to pixelating and doesn't recieve signal very strong)

The channel numbers are the analog numbers associated with the station-not sure what the digital's are (20-1, 32-1 and 42-1 I think), but you can find them elsewhere here.

Of course our local PBS station, a leader in other areas, has decided to be a lagger in HD and not to power up all the HD equipment they have in place (that's why I'm moving to LA).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend was busy and could not yet check out the local channels. However in the mean time we also acquired a Dish Network 5000 receiver together with a HDTV modulator. So we probably will install that first.

Can anyone recommend a really good Dish Network installer who is familiar with the 5000 receiver and the Panasonic Tuners/VCRs? We had a lot of trouble with a similar installation in Philadelphia, because the Dish Network installer didn't know anything about HDTV.

Regards, Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.