AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help for a newbie would be appreciated. I am very familiar with HT, but just starting to venture into HDTV.

I am tired of watching digital cable on my DTV, it is just not cutting it any longer. I would like to get HDTV, either Time Warner or OTA. If anyone has any updated info on Time Warner HDTV in Cincinnati, I would appreciate it. I can not get any info out of them at all. I would particularly like to get into their beta program. If not, I think I may pursue the OTA route.

I am a little concerned about installing OTA. I am on the Hamilton/Clermont line just south of 275, before you start going down the hill to the river. I guess it is about 30 miles to the antennas. Is anyone in the area I am using OTA HDTV? If so, what antenna are you using? Where do you have it mounted? What local company are you dealing with? Everyone I have talked to is clueless in this area.

Thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TWC has been testing HDTV in CINCY since early this year.The coverage has been HBOHD CH 260, SHOHD CH 261, CBSHD CH912 and ABCHD CH909. there however have been problems mostly with software, such as dropouts and mostly lockups.

I spoke with a engineer recently and they are pulling the setup they have,and going different equipment.

The bad news it most likely will be some time next year.

richard

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured there must be a problem with TW HDTV. Thanks for the info.

I am not that familiar with the SAMSUNG SIRT150. I will look into it. Where do you get the rebate?

Mike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MIKE

THE SAMSUNG SIRT-150 IS A OTA HDTV DECODER ONLY, NO SATALITE.THE REBATE IS 100 BUCKS, AND YOU CAN DOWN LOAD IT OFF SAMSUNGUSA.COM SITE.

RICHARD

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mike,

I'm north of you, off of the Indian Hill/275 interchange. No problems with OTA here. Cincy's digital stations have strong signals! Check www.antennaweb.org for antenna ideas and pointing instructions for your exact location, but my Terk indoor/outdoor mounted on the side of my chimney gets all the locals at better than an 80 signal.

------------------

We ALL deserve equal access to justice.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/t_evansen

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've been using a double-bowtie indoors with a DTC-100 in Mariemont. We just moved to Clermont County near Eastgate, (yestday, actually) and I haven't tried yet. I have a suspicion I'll need an attic antenna in the new location. I plan on adding DirecTV by the end of the year if the Scientific Atlanta cable box situation doesn't get worked out quick and Time Warner gets HD Net. Both have about zero chance of happening this year.

I'll let you know how the double-bowtie works as soon as I get to it. Don't hold your breath on an indoor solution (other than attic).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to the Eastgate report.

I took a look at the Samsung box, looks pretty reasonable. I have talked to a couple of individuals that used it with my Sony HS10, and no problems reported.

I am also thinking about an AccessDTV card for the HTPC instead of the Samsung. Solution is about $100 less, but it provides TIVO functionality. The HTPC works so well for DVDs that I did not buy a progressive scan DVD player. I am kind of leaning this way right now.

I still would be interested in learning about any companies that are capable of doing the signal strength tests and installing the antenna in the attic. I am reasonably sure I can do it, but if I can hire someone that has the tools I would rather do that.

Mike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.