AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Orange County, CA, and have a HDTV system. My dad saw it, and now he wants to get a system also. He lives in Del Mar, CA, near the ocean. According to antennaweb.org, there is 4 digital stations in San Diego, and supposedly he can get LA stations, although that sounds far fetched to me. Does anyone have any experience with the Del Mar area to know what stations he can get with an indoor antenna?

Chris Teague

·
Registered
34 Posts
I run an Installation Co. out of Carlsbad. Have installed HDTV (DTC-100) in house in Carlsbad that gets 11 stations from LA. You want to use a UHF antenna and its nearly 100 miles from Mt. Wilson.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teague:
I live in Orange County, CA, and have a HDTV system. My dad saw it, and now he wants to get a system also. He lives in Del Mar, CA, near the ocean. According to antennaweb.org, there is 4 digital stations in San Diego, and supposedly he can get LA stations, although that sounds far fetched to me. Does anyone have any experience with the Del Mar area to know what stations he can get with an indoor antenna?

Chris Teague
Chris;

I live about 5 miles further up I5 from your Dad. With an good (i.e. RS Double bow tie, Silver Sensor, etc) indoor antenna he should be able to get with no problem CBS and ABC (ABC less strongly probably); these happen also to have the most HD material on them. He might on a good evening be able to pick up NBC (Jay Leno), but that's debatable and the signal possibly won't be reliable from Del Mar on an indoor antenna. He definitely won't get a peep from anything on Mt Wilson in LA without an outdoor antenna. Bottom line is that he'll get the important channel (CBS, 55, the one with all the regular HD programming) very clearly. KPBS-DT will (scheduled) come online in October and your Dad will want to receive that but possibly may have some trouble.

Hope this helps.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
734 Posts
Do a search for my username about my HDTV reception.

I live on a ridge in Rancho Penasquitos (south and inland from Del Mar). I have a ChannelMaster 3021 mounted in my attic on a rotator and can pick up almost all of the LA stations. Mt. Wilson is 103 straight-line miles to my house.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the info. I did look at some of the other posts. So from what I gather, getting the SD ABC (KGTV) and CBS (KFMB) are just due south, and should be no problem. Getting NBC (KNSD) looks a little tougher since it is over the hill from the coastal side of Del Mar, and inland some. KPBS sounds like won't be broadcasting in SD until October 01. And if my dad wanted to get the LA stations, it should work OK with a good outdoor antenna. Sounds like the SD stations may work with a good indoor antenna. I have the silver sensor, so I may try one for my dad. Does this all sound right? Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teague:
Does this all sound right?
Absolutely Chris; give it a try. The one thing I've found about UHF antenna's and HD reception is that everyone's mileage seems different depending on their exact location. Also, don't give up on KNSD (NBC) reception; I've gotten very good reception in La Jolla mesa (just a mile or two down the road from your Pop's location) and absolutely none in Encinitas from a Silver Sensor, so you won't know til you try. Good luck.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.