Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased a tosh 56h80, mostly for prog DVD and Dreamcast via VGA, But now of course I already have the bug for upgrade, and am interested in getting some hdtv. I cant use a satellite because there are too many tree around my house. Does anybody live in the area and get any OTA HDTV? Can I use an indoor antenna? If no since I'm renting the house for only two years, what's the best way(and cheapest) to rig something outdoors. All help appreciated greatly.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm in East Hanover a few miles East of you. I have a CM outside antenna strapped to a chimney, along with an in-line amp. (I also have a rotor but don't use it unless it's raining, when I can sometimes pick up CBS by rotating the antenna about 10 degrees CCW)

I get all the NY stations without using the rotor. CBS and Fox tend to fade the worst in rain, but the others from the WTC come in fine.

You should be able to get a CM antenna and amp from Stark Electronics or RS for under $200. I did try an indoor antenna but got absolutely no signal on any channel.

Rick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok, where in Denville do you live?

I live behind a ridge in BT and the one station that I really can't get is WNYW, not enough signal - however, I currently have a Weingard 9065 (their smallest UHF only) and probably need something bigger. Lashen Electronics (Broadway in Denville) carries the 9095 - their biggest.

Bottom line, if there is no hill between you and NYC - especially the ESB, you shouldn't have a problem with a small YAGI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live close to you, and like Rick, I have a CM mounted on a rotor on my roof. In addition to the NYC channels I have picked up Philly, Allentown & some other PBS stations.

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeff,

I live and work in Mtn Lakes, just over the hill to your east. Success mostly depends on exactly where you are located in Denville. For example, if you are on this North end of town and are near Old Boonton Road, you will probably not be successful with any DTV. However if you live over near Rte 10 on one of the hills you may have an easy time of it.

With any off air UHF TV, height is king and the worst place to be is in the backside shadow of a hill locate between you and the transmitter.

JT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I live on white birch trail, which is right on Indian lake. Off of franklin st.

Jeff

Any hope with indoor antennas???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, at least you don't have a hill in the way, so you're probably in good shape as far as getting a signal.

As far as in the attic... I'm skeptical, that'll depend upon the surrounding buildings and your house's structure, especially if the roofing material is doubled up (quite possible on many of those older homes).

You'll need to point the antenna roughly parallel to RT 46, perhaps a little south of that, so you should verify you have room in the attic to point an antenna in that direction.

I'd start with trying a small channel Master YAGI or Weingard Yagi UHF only antenna. As I mentioned before Lashen electronics has weingards, the 9065 should work where you are, and they good return policy if you can get the antenna back in the box....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.