AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine lives in Freehold, NJ, so I'm trying to find out if anyone in that areas is receiving HDTV, and if so, what type/size of antenna are you using? His wife says no to a rooftop, so its gotta be attic or somewhere else indoors. It will be feeding a DTC-100.

Thanks,

Frank.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I'm near Princeton, NJ & I've gotten good results with the Silver Sensor & Radioshack Bowtie (both indoor) antennas. I can only pick up Philly stations though.

Someone in the 'HDTV Recorders' forum mentioned he picked up NYC stations from Doylestown, PA (some 60 miles away from NYC!). He hasn't answered my query yet as to how he did it, so anyone else in central NJ picking up both NYC & Philly? If so, what kind of antenna &/or signal amplifier are you using?

------------------

Surf on to ... THE BEST FILMS & HOME THEATER

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm in East Brunswick NJ about 15-20 miles north of Freehold. I can receive the WTC HD channels using a CM 4248 UHF antenna.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Maybe u should think about getting a rotator so you can pick up HD goodness from both NYC,and PA.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
As you can see, I am well qualified to answer this question. :) When I first got my STB, I played around with a variety of indoor antennas, and was only able to get KYW (CBS) and WNJT (PBS) with enough stability to actually watch. Hoping for better, I decided to go with a roof antenna in my attic.

What I am currently using is the larger ($40) Radio Shack Yagi in the attic with a RS preamp. I get KYW(CBS), CAU (NBC), NJT (PBS), HYY (PBS), PVI(ABC)and WTXF(FOX). CBS and ABC are rock solid, and all the rest but FOX come in well (an occasional glitch, but certainly acceptable). Fox has enough glitches to be annoying, but I very seldom watch them. If they ever start doing real HD on Fox, I'll probably try a better preamp.

[This message has been edited by BenBroder (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm the person in Doylestown, PA who watches 14 different DTV stations from Allentown, Philadelphia, New York City, Trenton, and Wilkes-Barre. Sorry; I can't spend a lot of time on these forums due to other commitments, but I check in when I can.

I use two off-the-shelf Channel Master antennas with preamps on 5' of mast on my roof. The preamps are CM type 7775 UHF-only. They provide 24 dB of gain and between 2-3 dB noise figure.

These both feed first-generation Panasonic set-top boxes, as well as a second-generation Samsung SIR-T150 which is considerably more sensitive.

The Channel Master 3021 is a good choice for outdoor and indoor reception. It has lots of gain above channel 50, and a good front-to-back ratio for multipath. You'll definitely need a rotator for switching from Philadelphia to NYC stations.

Try the antenna without a preamp first ((it costs less than $30) and if the signals aren't stable enough, then add the preamp ($69.95 list).

I do not recommend any of the Radio Shack antennas at present, nor the Terk HDTV60 (not enough gain on UHF), Terk TV55 (same problem) and Terk 35 (better for low VHF reception).

KC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.