Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like some progress is taking place... :rolleyes:

At the 100,000 WATTS website , WBAY-DT is listed as one of the newest stations to go on the air. I haven't picked it up from my location 35 miles to the south with a rooftop antenna so either this info is bogus or the transmissions are intermittent and/or low power. This is a promising sign however. Has anyone else been able to pick them up. They would be on HD channel 23 (or spif'ed to 2).

WFRV-DT had been giving a November date for their startup but an e-mail from their technical director let me know their installation has slipped a month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to see another HDTV-lover in my neck of the woods. I'm hoping to pull in the GB stations over here in Winneconne. Last news I have is from Art Williams at WBAY on 8/25/01 after I asked about their antenna progress when I heard they had erected a tower:

"Well Dave, the antenna complex is just part of the total package. Once the tower work is complete, we then need to build an additional building to handle the new DTV transmitters. We hope to meet the May 1, 2002 deadline."

So, while I hope that they are up an running, my guess is we still need to wait awhile. I don't yet have the hardware for my DISH receiver to pull in the over the air broadcasts, so I can't check.

BTW, I saw your Home Theater plans on your web site...looks like quite a project. Have you started construction yet?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave for the WBAY info about their startup and welcome to the forum. Sorry to say the construction phase for the Home Theater has yet to start. I am having too much fun with the equipment. Recent re-financing should provide enough incentive to get things started this winter, though.

Since you have the HD DISH receiver, were you able to get the CBS-HD waiver for the satellite feed?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi Jerry,

Good to hear from you again. I haven't tried a 'local scan' on my dish 6000 since I got it. When I get home I will try it to see if anything pops up. But like Dave said, it probably will be another month at best for WBAY. Do they broadcast from that hill in DePere?

I guess I'm not that worried about it because I get CBS-HD thru Dish. I did not have to get a waiver but had to talk to about 6 CSR's to finally get it. But it is very important that WBAY get running to set a precedent for GB and the fox valley. And to get an advertising campaign to raise awareness in the area. I would hate to be a salesman at Best Buy or American trying to push HDTV's with no local support.

Keep us posted if you hear any more!

Mike Flanagan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw the note in the HDTV Magazine newsletter saying the CBS feed was available to those in the "white" broadcast area. So I called DISH and on the first try got a CSR in Denver and they set me up with CBS within minutes. No hassle. Great picture!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I tried scanning for new Digital stations last night and came up '0'. It may be a while before we get it via antenna. I'm really waiting for ABC to make thier switch. Waiting...waiting.:rolleyes:

Mike Flanagan

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Wondered if anyone has heard anything new about any Green Bay stations going live anytime soon?

Mike F.

·
Registered
951 Posts
With this being my first post, I hope I'm not posting old news, but this is an e-mail response I received from WFRV on Jan. 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curt,

We are having a few set backs, but I believe we will be on the air in the

next 2 weeks. We will annouce on our Newscasts, so stayed tuned.....

Dale E. Mitchell

Director of Technical Operations

WFRV-TV Green Bay WI

(920) 430-3663

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a DST-3000 ordered so I'm definitely excited about channel 5 going HD soon.:) I sure am happy I stumbled across this post, I've been trying to find information like this for a long time now. I'll be checking back later!

Curt

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,

Here is the word from channel 5 as of last Thursday (1/24).

Quote:
We are right down to the wire. We are trying to get one lst microwave link setup for control of the transmitter back to the station. Once that is done we are ready to broadcast. I am trying for this week, but it could push into next week.

Dale E. Mitchell

Director of Technical Operations

WFRV-TV Green Bay WI
I haven't picked up anything yet in my checking. Response from WBAY says they will be running by the May deadline, which is more than any of the others (besides WFRV) will say.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi Jerry,

I emailed WFRV and here's what I got:

"Mike - We hope to be broadcasting in HD shortly - later this week or the

beginning of next week. We will be on Channel 56. Thank you for your

interest - keep watching! Joy/WFRV"

Sounds like things are getting close. I'm not in a huge hurry for WFRV because I get CBS-HD through dish. I am glad though because this will mean a lot to the valley and GB. Finally local electronic stores can show people 'Local' HD. this should boost sales of HD sets and cause other stations (WBAY, WLUK, etc) to get off thier duffs and do something.

Exciting times!

Mike F.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I emailed Art Williams, the engineer at WBAY, regarding a start date for HDTV broadcast. The reply I received today was "May 1 2002, Channel 23".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.