My question is, if I buy a HDTV tuner, install an attena

in my attic, hook it up with my projector, will I then be

able to receive HDTV signals ? Will it only be able to

receive HDTV signals that are offered at selected

channels at selected hours ? For the other hours

will it be able to receive DTV signals (or will the local

Houston channel broadcast DTV signals when they

are not sending HDTV signals ?) Will the same attena and

HDTV tuner set up be able to receive analog signals ?

I've seen people saying signal strength at 80% etc., what

does this mean, it means it will not have a good picture

quality (fuzzy looking ?), or does it mean there will be drop outs ?

Thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
You will be able to receive any Over The Air signals in the area "heard" by the antenna and receiver you install. Here in Houston, there are supposed to be 17 stations broadcasting Digital signals. The digital and analog signals are at different frequencies. Most are on UHF frequencies but there are two using VHF, and one of those is PBS. If you go to antennaweb.org you can enter your address and they will tell what direction the station antennas are and recommend an antenna.

Programming varies significantly, most networks have a page on their web which says which programs are HD.

Good Luck

TerryB

·
Registered
304 Posts
Also, to answer your question on the signal strength. If you can keep 80% signal strength, you shouldn't have any problems with picture quality. At 80%, the signal will be perfect and rock solid. Generally, I start getting dropouts and stutters below 50% on my Samsung TS160.

As far as local channels broadcasting HD, the digital channel is always broadcasting a digital signal, even if there is standard defintion content. Some stations handle standard definition content over the HD channel differently. Some channels zoom the picture to fill the screen, while some channels broadcast bars on the side of the screen to fill the 16:9 area. Even SD looks much better over the HD channel though. The local news is much clearer and the colors are better, even though the HD resolution isn't there. Even Telemundo in Houston has a DTV channel, but it never has HD content on it.

All HD content from the big broadcasters is usually from a national feed, and when a nationally televised program comes on, like CSI, you can see when the 'switch' is made to the actual HD content. In fact, many times you can see how much HD is in it's early stages. The other night after CSI on CBS, King of Queens came on in HD, AT 10:00PM. The local news was on the analog channel, but apparently someone forgot to change the feed to the HD channel. About 10 minutes into King of Queens the local news popped up on the HD channel too.

Some HD tuners only tune ATSC (DTV) signals. If you want it to receive regular NTSC OTA broadcasts, make sure you find a tuner that can receive both. However, here in Houston, just about everything being broadcast NTSC has an ATSC digital simulcast that is free of static.

PBS, KUHT, in Houston has a national feed that constantly broadcasts HD content 24 hours a day, which is channel 8-1. The regular standard def content is also broadcast over the digital channel on 8-2.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.