AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there who lives in New York city and uses an indoor antenna to receive HD signals?

I tried $20 Radio Shack to see what I could get and only got one snowy channel on analog.

Also if I am able to get analog signals albeit snowy does that mean I will also be able to get the digital signal?

I am debating whether to next get the Terk antenna and see what I get with it. Someone also suggested a silver sensor.

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You don't have an HDTV receiver do you?

I'm using a Radio Shack $20 Bow-Tie indoor UHF antenna, and I pick up all the NYC digital channels. I'm in the 80's on the East Side facing North. The stations are received with very high signal levels as well.

Oh and using the same Radio Shack antenna, the analog stations are you guessed it snowy or they won't come in at all.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This is encouraging. I'm on the east side, too, and can face north or south, but can't get anything except WCBS (but it comes in like gang busters). I've tried the Silver Sensor, and even some outdoor units indoors with no other luck.

What floor are you on (I'm low in a house, which may be an insoluble problem)? And which R/S indoor bow tie are you using?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Is there a difference between antennas for analog and digital signals, or is a UHF antenna good for both?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
For digital, you must use a UHF antenna, preferably UHF only. There are places where the digital staions opened up for business on the VHF band (like ABC in New Haven), but it's fairly uncommon.

Use a second antenna for VHF.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Just a warning..in manhatten its a crap shoot. I tried the rs bowtie and silver sensor with no luck. I even got a channelmaster 3021 (about 2' x 3'). I can get reasonable recption on some analogue uhf (including channel 31, which is from wtc and close in frequency to nbc-dt, channel 28),but on hdtv i got zip.

I guess twc has me where they want me

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
787 Posts
I haven't heard any mention of a booster or an inline amp. I would recieve 0 channels without my inline amp. With it I can recieve all nyc area channels. I live in a 2nd story apt w/ no direct line of site to any antennas.
Rat Shack Inline amp 29.99

Most rat shacks have this for 24.95 still so try it out. Its your least expensive option, you can graduate to higher powered amps if this one doesn't work.

If it doesn't work, just return for a full refund of your purchase price. satisfaction is guranteed. At radio shack, we don't know most of the products we carry, but we can issue a refund with our eye closed.

K

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Spent some time Saturday experimenting with Silver Sensor antenna positions. I'm at a north-facing site, mid-town eastside. My set, a Philips 64PH9905, built last June, has a built-in HDTV tuner, probably a first-generation design. Previous attempts at tuning HDTV, with stations using reduced power, weren't very successful (CBS and NBC only).

Finally managed to tune in all stations except Fox, which remarkably broadcasts from the Empire State building, only 9 blocks from my location. (Also, can't even detect the low-power PBS signal from Brooklyn). For all stations except CBS, also atop the ESB, I locked in reception by pointing the Silver Sensor northward, away from the World Trade towers. The SS sits atop my RPTV, in the center of my viewing room. There's still some multipath glitches, causing brief black screens or digital macroblocks, but they're infrequent enough to make viewing possible.

WNET's (channel 61) loop of 1080i programs, with lots of outdoor scenes, is riveting with its eye-popping HDTV realism. The programs about Scandinavian countries are fascinating, and I found myself hooked even though I rarely watch similar NTSC travel-type programs. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I ask which STB you are using? I have an HDTV ready TV and need to buy an STB.

I found that there is a rooftop antenna on this building. I am going to try connecting an STB to see what I can get through that antenna. I get very good signals for analog on all the local channels.

Any advice?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
My STB is actually a plug-in tuner card, since my HDTV is an all-in-one set. As I indicated, it's probably not a match for newer STBs either, since most now have superior multipath-rejection features built into them. In sum, as I posted earlier this year, I'm probably at one of the very worst sites in mid-town for HDTV reception. Not only am I facing northward, with lots of shielded apartment walls between me and the transmitters (ESB and STC), but there's another tall building about 50 feet away from my 6th-floor 'picture' window. I tune stations in first with my RPTV's on-screen 'meter' feature, which displays signal strength, signal-to-noise, multipath, and three 'locked' indicators. Each station has a separate SS location atop my RPTV set, and I then outline the SS base with a grease pencil. It remains to be seen whether these SS positions will work each time. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.