AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the Santee area receive ABC, CBS and NBC in HDTV? I currently have a Channel Master 4251 with a Radio Shack amplifier and a WinTV-HD card in my computer. I can get WB and FOX and did get NBC for one day. The ABC and CBS antenna is directly west of me, but there are a few hills between me and the antenna. Including one just a block west of me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tsang (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
There is a ton of info on reception in San Diego in the "DTV in San Diego (KGTV and KPBS)" tread in the HDTV Programming forum. To find it click on the Search link at the top right hand side of the screen. For Search Words enter "San Diego", for forum select "HDTV Programming", for Search In click the "Subject Only" drop down box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you tried without the amp? THere has been alot of complaints about their amps and QC.. some seem to work very well others.. pretty pitiful..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tom,

You're not that far from the transmitters, and with a high gain antenna like a Parascope, you'd be better off with a lower gain pre-amp. I'd recommend the Winegard AP-4700, or the ChannelMaster CM7775. Both of these are UHF-only antennas. First, though, I'd try no amp at all. Do you have a direct line of sight to Mt. Soledad (pretty much due west for you) and Mt. San Miguel (almost due South)?

Kit

Escondido, CA

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tom,

Sorry to hear that you haven't had better luck out in Santee. I am in Encinitas and have a CM 4228 antenna with a 7775 preamp. I also reccomend that preamp, it made a HUGE difference for me. (thanks Greg!!)

Using that preamp I can now get 40, 19, and 23.

If you wanna see what I can get check this webpage out...
http://members.home.net/jvh/antenna

- Joel

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Since the signals are arriving at about a 90 degrees angle, one on them will fall in the null zone. With the Parascope's narrow beam width, you have a less than optimum setup. You could get a rotor, but they take time to rotate.

An alternative idea is to have two antennas, one pointed in each direction and select the one you want through a low loss A-B switch. This would switch the signals immediately with no delay. You could have probably gotten at least two 4-bay bowtie antennas (CM3021) for the price of a Parascope.

You might also have to tilt your UHF antenna to get a signal. See the recent posts on this topic in this forum.

[This message has been edited by Joe_M (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input.

I do currently have a rotor, but I am unable to get cbs and abc which are due west of me. I believe it is because of the very large hill that is just across the street of me and between me and the transmitter. For those who know the area the hill is the hill that the new 125 is on near the end of 52.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.