AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a summary of new products at the National Association of Broadcaster at the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, it says Sigma Designs is introducing a $29 MPEG-4 chip that allows HDTV to be stored on a standard DVD with six times the resolution of present DVD's. The chip will start appearing in set top boxes and video processors later this year.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/shownews.cgi?985

This approach could make HDTV DVD appear very quickly on the market since it would be the present DVD design with a new chip replacing an existing chip. The chip also provides MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 decoding for backward compatibility.

It would seem that this means that HDTV could be put in about the space of SDTV for satellites which opens up the possibility that HDTV becomes the norm, not the exception.

The Home Theater magazine this month also mentioned that DBS will be switching to MPEG-4 in the future.

Doesn't this remove many of the road blocks for HDTV and greatly accelerate its move towards dominance?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't forget MPAA's stand on copy right issues. Until they feel that their inteterest can be protected, there will be very few Hollywood titles that the networks will be able to get their hands on to broadcast in HD.

As for the MPEG4. Don't count on your local affiliates to suddenly embrace HD.

If anything, they may try to see if they and can sqeeze one or two additional SD channels. Just think. You can get 6 (low res, highly articfacts)channels, instead of one (crystal clear)channel.

For instance:

One channel will broadcast the regular shows.

Another with a weather radar screen.

Another showing someone at a local college giving lessons for ota classes.

Another with somebody showing you how to paint or sew.

Another one with a local high school football or basketball team playing.

Oh! We must not forget, someone will bound to be showing you a new way to cook.

There's all 6 channels. I bet Americans just can't wait.

Man! Can't you just see all the people who will be rushing out to pay thousands of dollars for digital TV and STB to watch these great programs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can see this happening with HD DVD, and I could see the DBS companies possibly introducing this in newer (HD) models, but I can't see the ATSC standard being replaced by one based on MPEG4. Not in the near future, anyway.

Besides, I think ANY change to the ATSC (for OTA broadcasts) standard would be extremely detrimental to HDTV progress. It would slow down introduction of content in HD.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's one error here... the Weather Radar Screen would be too useful... I think you meant:

Another with a local version of the Home Shopping Channel

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff T:
I can see this happening with HD DVD, and I could see the DBS companies possibly introducing this in newer (HD) models, but I can't see the ATSC standard being replaced by one based on MPEG4. Not in the near future, anyway.

Besides, I think ANY change to the ATSC (for OTA broadcasts) standard would be extremely detrimental to HDTV progress. It would slow down introduction of content in HD.

I agree, but at least it means we have the possibility of more satellite HDTV and HDTV DVD (assuming the studios can be satisfied)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.