AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to put a LCD in the bedroom. We only wanted something small, so I used my 22" Samsung Computer LCD in the bedroom, and hooked up the receiver by extending the coaxial cable into the room and putting the receiver in there as well.....

However, I notice the picture isn't as sharp/crisp or as bright as my sony 40" in the main room. Is there a difference between a Computer LCD and a normal 40" LCD ?

My idea is to keep the bell 6100 receiver in the main room so I was trying to find a way to send a ypbpr or dvi signal and the audio signal into the bedroom without breaking the bank. I looked at a small 22" Samsung LCD-HDTV thats costs $549, wheras a Samsung PC LCD only costs $219 for the same size. Unless I'm missing something important, and thats the reason the picture isn't as crisp or sharp, then why would anyone buy a small HDTV for hundreds more ?

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhann /forum/post/14328722

I decided to put a LCD in the bedroom. We only wanted something small, so I used my 22" Samsung Computer LCD in the bedroom, and hooked up the receiver by extending the coaxial cable into the room and putting the receiver in there as well.....

However, I notice the picture isn't as sharp/crisp or as bright as my sony 40" in the main room. Is there a difference between a Computer LCD and a normal 40" LCD ?

My idea is to keep the bell 6100 receiver in the main room so I was trying to find a way to send a ypbpr or dvi signal and the audio signal into the bedroom without breaking the bank. I looked at a small 22" Samsung LCD-HDTV thats costs $549, wheras a Samsung PC LCD only costs $219 for the same size. Unless I'm missing something important, and thats the reason the picture isn't as crisp or sharp, then why would anyone buy a small HDTV for hundreds more ?

Common differences between PC LCDs and TV LCDs:

* PC LCD won't have a tuner (no TV channels - analog or digital), TV will at least have analog if not digital (ATSC)

* PC LCD might not have speakers

* PC LCD might only have DVI/VGA inputs; no component, composite, HDMI or Coaxial inputs

* PC LCD might not be able to switch resolutions manually (this is needed because sometimes a 480P+ signal will need to be stretched to 16:9 to look correct)

* PC LCD probably does not have a remote

* PC LCD may only select input automatically (in other words, can't have multiple input types plugged in and select the one you want to watch at the time).

* PC LCD screen may be "flat", TV may be "glossy" for better appearance of colors to the eye.

If your PC LCD does have all these options, then it is virtually the same, and it probably cost as much as a similar sized TV.

By the way, in electronics lingo, the difference between a "TV" and a "Monitor" (some manufacturers will make the same screen and call one an HDTV and one an HDM), is usually the presence of a TV tuner. For digital, a separate tuner box will cost $150+.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts