1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
The short answer is No. No HD in Buffalo.

The slightly longer answer is that there is a Canadian HDTV test feed broadcasting off the CN tower with a 15 minute demo loop on Channel 66.

Windsor gets a number of channels from neighbouring Detroit, but the general consensus is that Toronto will probably get HD stations before Buffalo does. Considering the geologic pace of things HD in Canada, that tells you something about Buffalo http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Andy K.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Your best bet is to get the RCA set-up, with the dtc-100 HD decoder,and walk down the street and pick up an emulator system. DSS hack is ferverently ALLOWED in Canada. It's like we want to thumb our noses at US authorities. And our local authorities seem to like it that way... There you go. Tons of HD, all free. (Well, you have to pay for the HD reciever set up)

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
755 Posts
Actually, there's a lot more HDTV on Canadian DBS than American DBS. StarChoice has CBS, PBS, NBC and the movie channels, ExpressVu has CBS, ABC, Fox plus movies.

DirecTV and DISH only have HBO/Showtime, and even that is mainly upconverts. For HDTV, grey market's not worth it. Many Americans are doing reverse grey market and getting Canadian DBS just for HDTV!

Cheers,

Dave.

[This message has been edited by David Panko (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Gang

Thank you for all of your responses. I guess I'll keep waiting. I just don't watch enough TV to justify the DBS expenses.

Glenn

·
Registered
835 Posts
I agree with David here, DirecTV has HDTV-HBO which is great for HD movies. However, Canadian DBS carries network HD (CBS primetime, sports, etc.) that DirecTV is not allowed to carry. The HD movie selection is probably not as good as going with HBO, but if you watch network TV or sports it's much better to get a Canadian dish. I think a lot of the HBO stuff is not just upconverted, they do some of their own HD masters.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Gang

I have an HTPC and I am considering a Telmann HDTV reciever card. Can anyone please tell if HDTV signals can be recieved in Toronto, Canada.

I currently have a roof-top antenna and apart from local stations I can also receive some of the US stations 4, 7, 2, I guess the ones from Buffalo namely. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

Glenn

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kam,

I live in Ottawa too. Are you sure that all these HD goodies (if network TV can be called "goodies" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) are available here? Last time I asked, about a month ago, a salesman at Sears in Orleans, I was told that it is still only Starchoice broadcasting demo loops on one channel, nothing else available. Then again, he was only a Sears salesman http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Still, if there are more HD channels available, maybe it is worth looking further into this?

However, if it is only from satelite, Teleman, Hauppage or accessDTV are useless, and I would have to spend $1k+ on a receiver. Or do you know a better way?

Regards,

Leszek.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lezek: The guy at Sears is a moron.

I have ExpressVu and there are 3 HD channels. 1 is PPV, 1 is shared Demo Loop and Movie/Events (typically 2-3 movies a day) the other is network broadcasting and it flips between the networks. However all of CBS's primetime HD lineup is available up to 1080i. Most everything else is in 480p.

I can't speak about Starchoice, but I understand they show network programming as well. But I think ExpressVu has the edge on HD right now.

For one thing, they show The Sopranos in HD. 7-8 different movies a month, not quite the variety of HBO yet, but it has been improving ever since I first got the 6000 receiver.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have a StarChoice system, and the programming is comparable to ExpressVu but they place all the HDTV on one channel rather than spreading it across three.

Programming includes the Sopranos, all CBS primetime & sports, movies and PBS series like "Oceans Wild" and "Smart Traveller". Plus they showed the Mavs/Spurs game on the weekend plus Leno from NBC.

They've just put in place a new uplink from Detroit so will likely soon be adding ABC and Fox into the mix.

Leszek, you should be able to get the Ottawa test transmitter on channel 67 using the AccessDTV or HiPix card.

Dave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.