AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't flame me for my ignorance I am somewhat new to the HDTV scene. I am looking at Mitsubishi (WS-65869) in particular, but I have some basic questions about inputs. I understand the attenuators can only be used on the composite video to help resolve the red-push problem. But, my question is what are all the RGB connectors really for? I don't have DirectTV yet, but am looking at purchasing a DirectTV HDTV receiver solution as well. Do these use the 1080i RGB connectors? and is that the only way to take advantage of HDTV? or is everything that is broadcasted in HDTV work via even the composite video inputs? Obviously, I can not record HDTV quality via the ReplayTV with it's compression, but can I wire it so I can still view HDTV via the ReplayTV or do I need to wire two feeds; one for when I am watching HDTV broadcast television and another for standard broadcast via ReplayTV?

When investing in a new TV I am really concerned about having all the inputs I may need. Which led me to this model. It has the IEEE 1394 firewire; which looks like it is needed for all the HDTV recorders coming out. It also has the computer VGA input although somewhat primitive at only 640x480 @60Hz. (might as well use RGB for a computer then)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~dhondtm/backPanel.jpg

Devices I plan to hook up to my HDTV....

DVD, VCR, HDrecorder, DirectTV, ReplayTV, X-Box, and possible a Laptop w/ coordless keyboard and mouse. (why not?)

--

to quote Taron; I agree... "(KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD."

------------------

--

Sloper ;)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sloper:

I will try to help with the info you're looking for.

The 4 video inputs toward the right are for any 480i source which would include VCRs, replayTV, an interlaced (not progressive) DVD, and standard (non HD) DirecTV. The two component sources can be either a 480i or 480p source which would include interlaced or progressive DVD plus any of the preceeding. There is only one HD capable input, the one all the way to the right labeled DTV, for HD sources, which would include either HDPC or HD DirecTV (one of the numerous STBs everyone talks about). These HD DirecTV STBs have both component 1080i outputs as well as 480i composite or s-video outputs (although at the current time none can output both signals at the same time). You cannot currently record HD signals with a replay unit (or even watch HD through it), but you can use replay with standard inputs using one of the first four video connections. I am unfamiliar with xbox, but I believe it puts out a 480p signal which would use one of the component inputs.

I hope this helps.

SMK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.