AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Titled: "DVI Outputs for Future HDTV DirecTv and Echostar Set Top Boxes-What You Didn't Know, Till Now" contains information about their latest plans to control your current HDTV set top box. I have revealed details that have never appeared anywhere else. This copyrighted shocker is a must read for every HDTV owner or potential owner. To subscribe for free go to www.hdtvinsider.com

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
311 Posts
After reading your article i was outraged..I have a library of 500 Laser discs, now DVD's..Just spent $25,000 on a great HDTV home theater and feel screwed again!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Merson:
Titled: "DVI Outputs for Future HDTV DirecTv and Echostar Set Top Boxes-What You Didn't Know, Till Now" contains information about their latest plans to control your current HDTV set top box. I have revealed details that have never appeared anywhere else. This copyrighted shocker is a must read for every HDTV owner or potential owner. To subscribe for free go to www.hdtvinsider.com
Question?

In your article you state:

"...If you can receive over the air HDTV broadcasts, you do not have anything to worry about. It is completely unaffected by this. Today and tomorrow you can receive full resolution HDTV and display it on the wide range of latest HDTVs that are now showing up in dealer showrooms."

The today part is clearly true. Tomorrow? Well, that is very unclear. The same "worrys" about content protection apply. While there have been few statements about this (not wanting to fuel the delay), the same realities apply and will end up being addressed in the distribution (OTA) chain.

------------------

Regards,

Mark Aitken
Evangelical DTV Technologist

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Gary -

You suggested that until the protected receivers are out the satellite companies have no reason to down rez anything.

I don't know if they will do this, or are already doing this, but they do have an incentive. The recent developments in all these license talks have shown that the content owners are more willing to allow unprotected material to be shown if it is 'constrained' in resolution.

To me that suggests that more material is probably available even now as long they agreed to broadcast it in a constrained resolution. Couple that with the possible argument that many of our TV's and viewers can't tell the difference anyway and that would be a big incentive.

Good article though.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Mark:

This subject has never progressed beyond the trial balloon stage (as far as I know). It came up at last month's DTV summit. With no mechanism in place, I think the odds of this ever happening are extremely remote. Start screwing with constituents free over the air content and see how fast your congressmen and senators get re-elected. It will not fly. I want to inform my readers about what is about to happen, not fuel dumb ideas (restricting OTA television).

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Except there is no "built-in" shut off.

Thanks Gary,

Timely, poignant, delivered quickly (without pre-release hoopla). VERY professional. You are quite an information asset to the HD evolution & cause, particularly for folks that don't have an AVS ticker (like the stock market) feeding facts and rumors 24x7.

Tim

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Very good points JoeFloyd. The DBS companies really had no choice. I maintain the CE companies DO have a choice and will fight this somewhat.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also think Jack Valenti ,as usual, trying to squeeze every cent out of us as always for the studios is what's behind this..He has always been.anti piracy, copyguard, etc etc..Only one thing .most of us sre true collectors and would not want a pirate copy,at least i dont..I want my dvd or tape or whatever to be a 10 on a scale of 10,and am always looking for better ones,which the studios gladly supply with re-issues,re-masters etc..squeeeeeeze us

·
Registered
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Merson:

Mark:

This subject has never progressed beyond the trial balloon stage (as far as I know). It came up at last month's DTV summit. With no mechanism in place, I think the odds of this ever happening are extremely remote. Start screwing with constituents free over the air content and see how fast your congressmen and senators get re-elected. It will not fly. I want to inform my readers about what is about to happen, not fuel dumb ideas (restricting OTA television).

Just for the record...I agree with you! It would be a dumb idea. I guess that is my reason for concern ;-)

------------------

Regards,

Mark Aitken
Evangelical DTV Technologist

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Very good points JoeFloyd. The DBS companies really had no choice. I maintain the CE companies DO have a choice and will fight this somewhat.
Including CE companies like Sony, who are vertically integrated with studios (Columbia)?

Sony, who has analog-only-input 1080i sets like the KP-61HS30 that have not even shipped yet? The same Sony that is shipping set-top cable box samples that only have digital outputs and cannot be used with their own 1080i sets that haven't even shipped yet?

Anybody smell a rat? Anybody ready to send personal letters to your government representatives? Ready to clue in some clueless newspaper reporters?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Gary,

As always, a terrific newsletter. I sleep a bit better knowing that you are working hard to protect the interest of us enthusiasts http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Quote:
Start screwing with constituents free over the air content and see how fast your congressmen and senators get re-elected.
Well, my concern its this. The big battle now between the networks and the cable companies surrounds the dual must-carry rule (that cable must carry the NTSC & ATSC signal of the locals, and cable says HELL NO!).

I agree with most folks on this issue: that Joe Sixpack will not be returning to the '50s era with ugly antennas on the roof just to get ATSC signals - that cable, currently with 80% penetration, will make or break ATSC, and without the signal, we will never have HDTV, much less 480p at 16:9.

Therefore the only way to get the critical mass needed for the ultimate sucess of ATSC/HDTV is via cable. Free ATSC OTA will ultimately be a footnote to the digital revolution.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Gary,

In the newsletter, you refer back to the detailed description of DVI and HDCP in Issue 11 of your newsletter. For those who are looking for that description, it is actually in Issue 10 (at least issue 10 if the e-mailed version).

·
Banned
410 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for an excellent article.

I disagree to one statement you made though. DVI/HDCP is not necessarily a competing format with the 5C/Firewire. Since DVI is uncompressed it allows for STB manufacturers to easily provide add on features like menuing and guides with graphic overlays.

If a STB used compressed DV and Audio with the 5C/Firewire output, the STB mfr. would _have_ to include the circuitry to do the encoding (and compression) IN the STB to include such features. Since I believe the compression is still MPEG-2, I highly doubt that this would ever be implemented considering the huge difference in complexity between MPEG-2 encoders vs decoders (not to mention the complexity of compressing live HD video with say, graphical overlays).

A more likely scenario would be an HD Tuner STB with a DVI/HDCP interface to the HDTV and 5C/Firewire as the interface to a digital VCR or PVR if it is not built in. Certainly there are more combinations possible such as HDTV's with BOTH a DVI/HDCP and Firewire/5C interface (bi-directional at that, to connect to a PVR?) in addition to a built in tuner.

Rick

·
Registered
293 Posts
Forgive my stupidity...... Why would DTV or E* want to down res a HDTV show? Is it to stop people from recording "perfect" copies of their product? I thought only CHINA did this? What is their fear?

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It not Directv or Dish but rather the MPAA.

------------------

Directv Subscriber (oval dish)

RCA UTV, Hughes 2 E25 and 1 Hughes E11

Wishlist:

Sony T60

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
DirectTV and Dish could care less if the end subscriber records a movie, but the people that supply content to DirectTV and Disk care enough to make every HDTV display currently on the market obsolete. Since the satellite services don't want to lose all the best content to cable they feel it's in their best interests to give the MPAA what it wants.

Let's say that Dish and DirectTV didn't put some sort of copy protection on their STB's and cable did. Who do you think Sony or Disney would allow to broadcast their movies? If all the Sony and Disney movies are only on cable, then who is going to buy satellite? So, the MPAA has the satellite and cable providers falling over each other to add copy protection to all outputs otherwise no movies.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Gary,

Any idea whether the output on the back of the TWC 2000 HD box is usable? Is there a way to link this output into the Panasonic D-VHS deck?

Also, why is the picture quality so poor from QAM versus the one from my Zenith internal 8VSB tuner or even the Panasonic TU-DST50 8VSB tuner?

Is this going to get better, the QAM that is?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Gary,

I’m thinking of writing my Senator and House Representative regarding down-rezing and would like to forward your newsletter – in whole, unedited – as part of my letter. I will of course abide with your wishes if you do not approve. Please let us know your position on this matter.

Thanks,

------------------

Geof

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.