Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We recently acquired a HDTV system consisting of a Panasonic TU-DST51, a Panasonic PV-HD1000 and a Dish Network 5000 receiver with HDTV modulator. We tried to have that system installed at a friend's place in Narberth, PA by a Dish Network installer. He failed so far to get it working properly.

After installing the Dish for the 61.5 West Satellite, they found out that the TU-DST51 was defective (no signal was present at the Y/Pr/Pb outputs). We then got a replacement unit from Panasonic. With that replacement unit, we can't get a clear signal for more than a few seconds. After that the signal breaks up and sometimes the 51 even displays "no signal available".

Panasonic now thinks that the HDTV modulator may be defective and they wanted us to try a terrestial antenna to check if the Tuner was working properly. We then bought two

cheap Radio Shack indoor antenna and made some experiments. Our friend told us that he is about 8-10 miles away from the Roxborough towers and he had quite good analog reception using a similar antenna on his old tv. He did not have ghost images, so multipath is should not be a problem there. Again we could not get any clean signal from both antennas. We could receive CBS (Channel 26) and PBS (Channel 55) somewhat, but the picuture did not remain locked for longer than a few seconds.

Is it safe to assume that we should be able to receive at least one OTA Channel using an indoor antenna?

Does anyone know of a really good installer, who can install

Dish Network dishes, Terrestrial antennas and is familiar with the Panasonic hardware?

Most installers we called had no clue about HDTV. Most haven't even seen HDTV before!

Regards, Peter

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you're using an indoor antenna, it won't work that well if you've got aluminum siding on your home. As far as hiring an installer for HD antenna, just tell them you want a UHF antenna installed. That close to the towers you should be able to use an in attic installation with a medium range directional antenna.

Pete

·
Registered
695 Posts
Without getting out my atlas, where is Narberth in relation to the Roxy tower farm and what is the terrain like between you and the towers?

I live up in the Lehigh Valley, where nobody (and I mean practically nobody) uses antennas because of the terrain issues. I couldn't even find anyone who actually sold antennas (the local Home Depot doesn't even carry them here because no one buys them) Radio Shack was my only option.

However, I decided to install a Channel Master 4248 outdoor antenna with a Channel Master 7775 pre-amp and I'm getting most of the Philadelphia channels. I get Fox up in the 70's, CBS and ABC in the 60's, but nothing for NBC (they're still operating at 25% power from a different location). I'm about 45 miles away from the tower. I do get some multipathing distortion depending upon the weather, but for the most part, it's been relatively stable.

If you're closer than 45 miles, you should definitely be able to pick up the Philly stations (I guess that's the point of my post here) If the signal won't lock and keep dropping out, you're probably getting multipathing either from the antenna being indoors or tall buildings or terrain close by. If you must try in indoor antenna, get it up as high as you can (top floor of the house, attic, or get someone up on the roof and run a long cable down to your box) If I can pick them up, then you certainly should be able to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.