AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I must say that I find it interesting that it is a local FOX station that will provide the HD content locally. The article also says that the broadcast will be available to FOX national. For some reason I doubt FOX national will broadcast in HD but at least we can get their "Super Duper Really High Resolution that doesn't amount to crap compared to HD Widescreen"

Just my $.02

Rick

·
Registered
154 Posts
Although I'm happy to see any advance in HDTV in Hawaii, I have to be skeptical about this press release. First, the only content they're talking about are basically webcams at some hotels. The Turtle Bay resort, on the north shore of Oahu, is not a hotbed of activity and about the only interesting things about Outrigger Hotel's sites may be the performers at their beachside Duke's Bar (Jimmy Buffet did an impromptu solo concert recently). Finally, only the ABC affiliate here offers HDTV, so I'm not sure what FOX locally is going to do with the HD signal.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can see what ugly girls you might want to pick up in the bar ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
While I will admit the content described here is questionable, the interesting thing is the technology behind what they are doing. The Corona project, that Microsoft is working on as their next step in Windows Media, is supposed to provide 1080p HDTV video and 6 channel audio at half the file size of a current MPEG-2 DVD. Imagine the number of HDef channels Dish or DirectTV could fit on a transponder using this technology.

You can find information on Corona at Microsoft's website

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
That Corona stuff if they can do it sounds like what Hollywood is paranoid about, because would hdtv files that size be realistically transferable over the net, with a cable modem or fast dsl line.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
ms never said anything about 1080p. they said the max res of corona was 1280x720.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
true enough, I couldn't find 1080p on their website, but still 1280 720 is an hdtv standard and it would be pretty impressive if they can do it in have the space a dvd is encoded.

-tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.