AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really this just to vent. I live in Kitsap County with visual direct line of sight to downtown Seattle. I recently purchased a HD TV and tuner and installed a directional UHF antenna. I have never been successful in picking up KOMO-ABC's signal...but I've been successful in receiving every other channel - no problems.

I spoke with the KOMO engineer (via email) and discovered that anyone that is North and West of the transmitter on Queen Anne Hill is in their "transmission shadow." Turns out that their transmitter isn't located at the top of the tower, its located part way down. And then it is on the south east side of the tower.

It doesn't seem right that they install a transmitter favoring the east side and south sound!

Anyone else in Kitsap encountering the same problem?????

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's probably because the top of the tower is reserved for their analogue station - they'd rather everyone receive that than everyone receive the digital station, as more people have analogue TV's.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you are absolutely correct. The analog signal is broadcast from the top. The KOMO engineer says that they have no plans to replace the analog transmitter with their digital transmitter before 2006.

But that brings me back to my question...It doesn't seem right that they can send a signal that favors the east side of King County and the South Sound while leaving a HUGE "transmission shadow" to the North and West.

From the posts I've read around the net and here, I haven't heard/read about any other station in the Seattle market making that same decision and creating the same problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.