AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting into HDTV in the next month or two but I have some questions I would like answered if possible.

HDTV Monitors: Are all HDTV Monitors analog? From what I understand the signal from the Set Top Box (STB) to the HDTV is analog. Is this correct? I know that composite and S-VHS is analog but don't know much about component. From what I read I think it is also the analog signals from different uncomposited signals sent down seperate wires to keep the quality higher. I have read that HDTV will use IEEE 1394 Firewire as the connection of choice in the future. Since 1394 is digital why would there be a need for a digital input on the TV if it is analog? I could see the 1394 input on the STB but don't understand why it would be on the HDTV.

PC Display: In the future does anyone know if HDTV's will double as a computer monitor? I have seen some that have RGB inputs but that is only a couple so far. I know that I could always use a VGA to NTSC converter and hook it up through the composite or S-VHS but I think that will lose most of the original quality of the RGB Signal. I would like to be able to view the computer we use for video editing on the HDTV monitor in the same resolution of the PC Screen now (1024 x 768).

What I would like eventually is a HDTV Monitor that I could view NTSC, HDTV and PC output.

Is this gonna become the norm rather than the exception that it is today? I am trying to see if I should go ahead and get a HDTV monitor soon or wait till the industry answers some of these questions. If anyone knows any of these answers please let me know.

Thanks

Greg Z.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
All HDTV monitors accept analogue input via one or more of (in order of increasing quality) composite, S-Video, or component. A very few HDTV monitors accept a digital signal in the form of a FireWire connection. There's also been talk of using DVI for digital connectivity, but I'm not aware of any sets that actually have it.

Both FireWire and DVI are entwined with encryption features to provide copy protection capabilities. It's possible that some content providers will restrict true HDTV-resolution material to be available only via encrypted digital connections. But the industry still hasn't come up with an encrypted digital connection standard (although FireWire has been getting a lot of press lately).

Using an HDTV monitor as a computer monitor is possible. The resolution you can achieve is limited by the maximum scanning frequency supported by the monitor. You should spend some time in the Home Theatre Computers section here to get familiar with the issues. Start out with this thread , which is a great intro to using PCs with consumer TVs.

I'm convinced that some HDTV features will trickle down to computers (ie, 16:9 screens for computer monitors) and some computer technology will trickle up to consumer TVs (ie, decent resolution and support for multiple scanning frequencies). But it's not going to happen overnight...

[This message has been edited by Sean Nelson (edited 07-17-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.