AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on what I have read in this forum I believe Cablevision offers a few HDTV channels on LI. When I call Cablevision they indicate that no HDTV service is available in Great Neck. Assuming the Cablevision rep is wrong:

1. What Cablevision package is needed to get HDTV?

2. Is a set top box needed. For the receiver I intend to use an AccessDTV card. Does anyone know if this card requires an IRQ, my HTPC has no free interrupts. I now use an AIW Radeon to display analog channels on my NEC LT150. Can I just split the input signal and connect to both cards?

3. What HDTV channels are available, and their numbers?

4. If I decide to buy a receiver instead of an AccessDTV card, what is a good one. Do any have Firewire inputs/outputs?, is this important?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
713 Posts
I can answer some of your questions based on what I have read here on the forum. I think cablevision reps would tell you no HD even if there is HD as it is not "officially" supported.

Any package should get you the HD. In fact, I can recall comments from one person who used their cable modem service without being a cable tv subscriber--and still got the signal.

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but any one that can decode OTA digital will be fine. They're sending it via 8vsb just like OTA.

I don't know the channel #'s but there are 3 channels, HBO, MSG, and FSNY. Rangers, Knicks, Devils, Nets, and Mets home games are HD. Yankess move to a new network next season.

Keep in mind, that as it is unsupported, it can be discontinued at any time. It's been reported on this forum that HBO comes and goes regularly. Good Luck

Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much Rich.

Cablevision has not been helpful, now I understand why. As a newcomer I am finding the lack of good information to be very frustrating. As I gain more experience I suspect the lack of programming will be just as frustrating.

Regards - Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.