AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a projector that is HDTV compatable. I am thinking about getting a HDTV tuner to get over the air broadcasts. I may get the new Zenith HDV420. What kind of antenna do I need? My projection system is currently in my basement. I don't have a tower antenna. Can I get a strong enough antenna that I can use in my basement?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SKoprowski
Can I get a strong enough antenna that I can use in my basement?
Unlikely.

First you need to know where the local DTV stations are, try www.titantv.com. If they are within 30 miles or so, you could try an indoor antenna upstairs and run the coax downstairs to the DTV tuner.

·
Super Moderator
18,436 Posts
Scott..

Whatever you do, don't waste money on "HDTV" antennas. Just a marketing ploy. An antenna is an antenna. Buy a $9 set of rabbit ears and give it a try if antennaweb.org or titantv.com shows you within 20 miles of Cleveland's transmitters. Being in the basement, odds are you'll need something higher, but start cheap and work up.

My setup is in the basement, too. I'm 15 - 20 miles from the transmitters and can get all of them on rabbit ears from the basement. BUT.. I'm on a hill and the top of the TV is not below ground level. HOWEVER.. I'm near an airport and the landing planes wreak havoc with the signal. So, while the rabbit ears would work, I had to go to an attic-mounted yagi which works perfectly. Never a dropout, never a lockup. $40 at Lowes. Plus about 100' of RG-6 cable.

Good luck.

Doc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.