AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit it...I am new to HDTV. I just purchased a Samsung 50" DLP television. I have digital cable coming into the house. I am extremely confused on what programmin I should purchase/subscribe to get me HDTV ready. What is the best services, best programming and the least down time? Any good programming deals out there? What hardware do you recommend? I am not that into sports.

I have TVs in 4 rooms, but only one is HDTV ready.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Since you already have digital cable, first ask your local cable company if they have any HD channels and they can provide you with a replacement digital cable box that also provides HD at little or no extra cost. Usually the better cable systems provide some local HD network channels (the best programming in HD is on CBS, ABC, NBC, also PBS and WB) plus some extra-cost premium HD channels (HBO,Showtime) plus perhaps EPSN-HD and Discovery-HD.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...that is what I was hoping, but no HD programming yet. Comcast says hopefully next year. They sound like they have their fingers crossed when they say it.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Filling in your user location might help with tips--as well as visiting the local-HD forum to check for potential continuing threads for your locale.

I'd try pinning down my cable company, if possible, just when they're initiating HD and what sources they'd have. Otherwise, there's the over-the-air route, which you can determine with a visit to antennaweb.org, entering your zipcode, etc. This OTA or satellite use requires another investment in a HD tuner, which usually bring in both OTA and satellite sources. This investment might conflict with your cable company HD startup, which usually involves subscribing to premiums such as HBO or Showtime to get the HD versions.

Also, check the 'note threads' atop this and the program forums for summaries of hardware and program sources. Besides the two main U.S. direct-broadcast-satellite (DBS) services, don't forget the Canadian DBS service as well as large BUDs (Big Ugly/Useful Dishes), which can provide much better fidelity for standard channels compared to heavily compressed DBS. The note threads outline all this. -- John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

Good point about the location. I have updated my profile. I am lost on the 'note threads'. Where do I find this?

Thanks for everyones help.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Sorry about the delay. The 'note threads' are semi-permanent ones atop each forum list as you jump to it. Those with the hardware, local HD, and programming forums, among others, may be of help. -- John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.