AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to ask a question. I just recently got into HDTV and am in the process of getting the right antenna for OTA programming. I was at a local Electronics shop looking at antenna’s and talking to one of the tech’s there. He was telling me that I should not spend much time and effort on HDTV because it was going away and besides there are only two channels broadcasted in HDTV. He went on to say that it’s just to expensive for the networks to convert to it and so in the next 3 years it will die off and be done with. I didn’t respond much to his opinion as I’m not really up to speed on things regarding HDTV, so I ask you… is this true info..? or just a guy not very well in formed..?

Thanks

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
To be blunt, he's full of it. Read the HDTV Programming Synopsis, at the top of this page, to see just how much is available in HDTV.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Nice little write-up in Time magazine this week saying that "it's time, it's here". They say 94% of TV households have access to at least one high def station, and 62% have access to 5 or more. I thought that was cool to see.

·
Registered
577 Posts
At the Video Only store in San Mateo, they actually have HDnet and OTA antenna hooked up to show at least the PBS hd loop in the day time. But not one single set was showing any HD until I asked for it. Incredulous, I asked why they don't put HD programming at least on some sets. The salesman says he is advising his customers to buy HDready sets only, to watch DVDs, and not to buy the STB's yet, and have no STB's in stock. I asked why. He said there are simply not enough HD programming to justify buying an STB now. I said you have HDnet, and OTA primetime that's almost 90% hd, plus HBOhd, etc, etc,. He maintains that his customers should wait another year before jumping in.

Unfortunately, this kind of thinking appears to be typical for most TV showrooms, you are lucky to see them even carry one STB. No STB - No HD!

The growth of something as beautiful as HD is just so painful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What could the government or the TV industry do to teach these uninformed store employees that HDTV is here and here to stay? Training? Brochures? Required reading of AVS Forum? This is the only place I was able to find realistic info about HDTV when I was doing research. Had I counted on Best Buy, DirecTV, or Circuit City, I would be watching only SD TV only. It is really a shame.

·
Registered
148 Posts
At our local Best Buy the salesperson insisted that all of the Columbus local HD channels were available on DirectTV. I told him several times that only the regular channels were available and that you would need an OTA antenna attached to the STB to receive any of the DT(HDTV) channels. And he told me the I was wrong, that is why they have the oval dish.

I wonder how many people have been sold and HD set and DirectTV locals and actually think they are getting HD.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
He is so out of it it is incredable. I get 9 channels of HD at my home: HBO, Showtime, Discovery HD, Dish HD Pay Per View, CBS, ABC, NBC, WB, and PBS. Also available but not on my set are HDNet and Dish Demo. More are on the way. New HD in 2003 indicated recently are ESPN HD, three more HDNet channels, Cinemax HD, and recently a NFL HD channel.

It is actually starting to really boom.

Rick R

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response folks..!! I thought I was right, the store I was in was a local one called ORVAC Electronics in Fullerton California. I too had to do lots of research on HDTV to see what the truth was because the people at stores like Best Buy, Circuit City and the rest just don’t know what’s going on.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
New HD in 2003 indicated recently are ESPN HD, three more HDNet channels, Cinemax HD, and recently a NFL HD channel.
Hey Rick...could you fill us in on the HD NFL channel. Haven't seen a word about this??

Update - Never mind, just caught the thread....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.