AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just poking around the newly revamped DirecTV web site and noticed a change in the way my programming packages are listed.

I now have HDTV listed as one of my subscribed packages. There's no charge for it and there is no way to subscribe to it but it is coded on my account as a service I am receiving, like some of the bonus programming packages I have.

I also noticed that there are a bunch of audio channels listed in my list of available channels that don't show up when I try tuning ot them. Has anyone else noticed this? One of them is Party Album Mix and another is Italian Pop.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
How would they know if you are an HDTV viewer?
They know what receiver you're using.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What's funny is that each receiver has "HDTV" listed as a package, even though only my DTC-100 can actually tune the DTC-100 channels.

MusicChoice channels 845-865 aren't available to Total Choice subscribers. Channels 845-851 are part of the Para Todos package, while channels 856-865 are available to commercial subscribers.

--Andrew

·
Registered
178 Posts
HDTV = "Separate programming package" could also mean a "separate programming package charge" in the future.....ka ching!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Speaking of HD and DirecTv, I had a funny thing happen yesterday. My receiver apparently lost authorization because I couldnt receive any channels without the EXT 45 screen coming up. So I called to get a rehit but they were swamped with calls since the recording said... "we're extra busy do to the recent ECM..yada yada yada."

So I hung up and just went ahead and unplugged the receiver which I knew would probably work, but I always hate doin that because of how it messes up the guide lists and what not.

Anyway, after I went ahead and reloaded the program data and all, suddenly I was receiving HBO-HD on 509.... and I dont subscribe to it. I only have The Sunday Ticket. Which gets me HDNet too. But I never needed HBO HD from them cause I'm already getting it from Dish. I'm not getting any other "new" channels so to speak. And not even the SD HBO channels either. So it's not like I was mistakenly hit with the HBO "Package". Must just be an HD thing.

24 Hours later it's still working. Gonna be interesting to see how long this lasts.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Tanya is now doing a segment on HDTV on the Customer News channel (201). She chats briefly with someone from Sound Factor. It's essentially an ad for SF who sells A/V equipment, but it is great to see some attention given to HDTV. They also mention HDNet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Saam47
HDTV = "Separate programming package" could also mean a "separate programming package charge" in the future.....ka ching!!
If DTV is going to start charging for an 'HDTV package,' they'd better start offering a few more channels of it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Speaking of HD and DirecTv, I had a funny thing happen yesterday.

Anyway, after I went ahead and reloaded the program data and all, suddenly I was receiving HBO-HD on 509.... and I dont subscribe to it. I only have The Sunday Ticket. Which gets me HDNet too. But I never needed HBO HD from them cause I'm already getting it from Dish. I'm not getting any other "new" channels so to speak. And not even the SD HBO channels either. So it's not like I was mistakenly hit with the HBO "Package". Must just be an HD thing.

24 Hours later it's still working. Gonna be interesting to see how long this lasts.
Here's something even more interesting. My programming package dropped back down to just Select Choice and Locals again at the start of the new billing cycle.

I am also getting HBO-HD on 509, but no other HBO programming and no other channels that don't belong in Select Choice.

So, it appears that there is some sort of HDTV programming package that at least a couple of people are getting, which includes HBO-HD at no extra charge.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm trying to get HBO-HD and HDNET only. What's the trick and how much does it cost. I just talked to a CSR at DirectTV, and she told me I had to sign up for the basic package to get HDNET. Can't I just pay for HBO a-la-carte and get HDNET?

·
Banned
410 Posts
Yes. Sign up for the $12/mo HBO a la carte package and you will get the following:

HDNET

CSPAN

NasaTV

PBSU

All HBO Channels 501-510 including 509 HBO-HD

Sundance

NFL Preview

Although after seeing these posts maybe I should switch to the $7.99 option. Maybe next month :).

Rick

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I just spoke with a Directtv rep because I'm thinking of taking the plunge and subscribing to Directtv. I wanted just HDnet for my RCA-DTC 100. It doesn't have an access card so I would have to order one ($20). She quoted me $12/month for HBO alacarte. She didn't offer the HDnet only package and couldn't find it. She said the only way to get HDnet was through HBO alacarte.

Tim Huey

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I must have posted this 100 times...

To get just HDNet without HBO, just order DirecTV limited ($7.99).

Do not mention HDNet when you talk to the person on the phone.

Some reps don't know about DirecTV limited, so call back and ask the next person if you get one that can't find it, or ask for a supervisor.

Still, do not mention HDNet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.