Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings HDTV viewers,

I'm a journalist for a national newspaper working on a story about how Hollywood's production community is doing on the learning curve as they shoot/convert programming in HDTV. I'm looking for people who have seen interesting instances in HDTV programming where the visuals may have been a bit too clear--an actor's pimples, wrinkles, plastic-surgery scars, a transparently fake prop, a shoddy-looking set--whether on TV series, movies, sports, news, etc.

If you saw something interesting, email AW at [email protected]

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Read some of the older posts where it is found that on CSI the older actors and actresses get "digital touchups" on their face to keep them from looking older with HDTV.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I remember the first HDTV SuperBowl game, most of my guests were just so thrilled that they can spot stuff like beads of sweat, blades of grass, dirt on players faces, holes in uniforms and other oddities.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh, I just remembered one episode of CSI where I believe a body part on the coroner's table got through on the HD version of the broadcast.

Unfortunately I can't remember which episode it was.

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
I know this isn't current, but it would do producers well to check things like this out for future reference.

HDNet has bought a HD remastered collection of Hogan's Hero's and you can see the "snow" on the watch towers are a nice white paint or the snow on the ground is a nice Styrofoam or packing peanut type material and Burkhalter's scar has a nice plastic sheen around it denoting it is a plastic stick on!

Also for years I debated whether LeBeu's sweater on his left sleeve was torn or had a Free French patch. Some shots it looked like a large tear and other shots it looked like a really BIG patch. I now see it is BOTH! A tear from the shoulder line down to the start of the Free French patch on his sleeve!

Oh, yeah, you can read Hogan's bomber jacket name label. It clearly says "Robert A Hogan", and the Army Air Corp shoulder patch is clearly visible and in real colors of that branch of service, something you never saw in pre-HD days.

The German uniforms all have a lot detail. I am not a scholar of Third Reich Uniforms (I am more of the South Pacific historian myself), but they look very authentic as well. Nice detail work. (I didn't think Schultz was SO large, but in HD, you can really tell what it took to get him a uniform!)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
It's not really hollywood that has this problem. It's network news.

when they started moving HD cameras into the studios there were many a anchor woman that was disgusted by how many wrinkles people could now see and their awfull makeup. The makeup got better quick but some of these old gals may be retiring early.

king 5 seattle

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well we all know barbra walters has a real soft-focus whenever she's on... soft focus is anof an understatement. they must smear vasoline on the lens.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I second the observations on the Hogan's Heroes HD transfers. I might add that you can plainly see the walls of the tunnels are actually crinkled paper painted brown. :) All in all, it looks like a high school play now.

I might add, you can see in wide shots that the trees in the distance are Eucalyptus. There arn't any Eucalyptus trees in Germany! (It was shot in SoCal). :)

But with HH, it's the dialogue and plots that make the show. The set doesn't drive the show.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Call me crazy, but I thought HD was to see sweat and just the little things. HDTV too clear, haha

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wish I could give you a cite rather than just heresay to report, but I remember reading that Jay Leno's makeup time doubled when The Tonight Show went HD.

Joe

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was one of those who commented on the look of the actors. Some where I had read that in the case if CSI specifically the actors demanded that the image be "softened".

Perhaps this may be ok with network shows but I don't think it should ever happen anywhere else - such as sproting event.

I want to see every blade of grass, bead of sweat, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.