AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sending an email to Mike Dugan at Dish concerning the need to show HD on the 148 Sat especially for us West Coasters, the following was his reply:

The final word on 148/HD will be provided during the Tech Forum on Monday night. We understand the need for the west coast.

I do wish that our subscribers understood the complexity of the logistics and proper planning for future expansion of HDTV. HDTV is a huge bandwidth user, and the lack of subscribers that seem to want or need it makes this a daunting ROI risk for us.

If you are not happy with the announcement on Monday night, you should

re-contact me. unquote

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like it's time to send some responses back to show the demand.

Even though I can see the 61.5 bird. But I do not like the show schedule, all of them are on ES, it's not very convenient for our westerner. Dose anybody know if they will send out for PS if 148 HD is on?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xsailor:

I do wish that our subscribers understood the complexity of the logistics and proper planning for future expansion of HDTV. HDTV is a huge bandwidth user, and the lack of subscribers that seem to want or need it makes this a daunting ROI risk for us.
Well, I guess I don't understand. How is it they're judging the # of HD subscribers to make this ROI assessment? Given they don't sell a "HD-only" package, how do they know how many HD viewers they have? Are they basing this on the numbers of 6000 boxes sold?

I hope they're not basing it on the subscribers to the HD PPV channel. Alot of HD viewers, myself included, have never bought a PPV movie.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too was waiting to get hdtv on 148. I switched to D* because I could get

hdtv from them. I still have my 6000, and am only a phone call away

from going back, as I think the pq on E* is better in general. I just hope

they give it a try because I think there is more market out there than they

realize.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Last week, I spoke to someone at Dish in tech support. She said that the 148 bird would not have HDTV programming on it, because they don't want to use the bandwidth for HDTV. She also mentioned that there are two new birds that Dish will use to carry HDTV programming sometime in the future.

This prompted me to try picking up 61.5 again, but I still had not luck.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Banned
129 Posts
I put up with this run around from dish for a while before switching over to Direct TV. I too, had a 6000 which was useles to me in Oregon. Now, I am receiveing HD from HBO, Papy Perview and Local stations. I know dish has SHOWTIME in HD but its really quite useless if you can't receive it. My understanding is that Direct TV will eventually add more HD in the future. But for now, I am content and receiving it in the Great Northwest.

Stick it to Charlie where it hurts the most. Drop him and go with DTV. Maybe then they will expand their coverage to include the other half of the continet.

JT :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
They can gauge the ROI based on the number of 6000's and 5000 HD kits sold. Given that this is an early-adopter technology, they certainly aren't going to see huge profits from this - it is more valuable as building a user base for the future.

Dish support is worthless. Doon't bother.

What's Mike Dugan's email addr?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I certainly encourage all Dishnetwork model 6000/5000HD owners on the west coast that can't see 61.5 to send mail to Mike Dugan requesting that the 4 HD channels be added to 148. Unfortunately, I don't think it will have much of an impact on their decision.

If fact, I believe that if all HD box owners cancelled their subs on the same day that it would have a noticeable financial impact on Echostar (although they might notice it). While I don't know their sales numbers, I'd be willing to bet that they have sold under 10,000 HD capable units to date. I believe that their main reason for supporting HD at all is to attract early adopters (with the real goal of getting their friends to get SD Dishnetwork subscriptions), and to have bragging rights for the most HD content (on a DBS system).

As I have noted in several of the DirecTv threads, until there are lots more HD set and STB owners, adding more content can't be justified on a financial basis.

That said, I hope they do step forward and take the risk so that I can have more to watch and show my friends. :)

/carmi

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I would have to believe it boils down to economics. There is probably more revenue from the specialty programming on 148 than from adding HD channels to 148. I'd bet that if the west coast feeds of HBO and Showtime's HD channels were added to 148, many DirecTV customers would switch to Dish. But that probably still isn't enough economic incentive for Dish to add HD to 148. I'd love to see the west coast HD feeds added to 148, but I'm very pessimistic about Monday's Tech forum announcement.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorge Torralba:
Stick it to Charlie where it hurts the most. Drop him and go with DTV. Maybe then they will expand their coverage to include the other half of the continet.
DirecTV, the West Coast "friendly" DBS provider used to show HBO HD West. When it was switched to HBO HD East the silence was deafening.

Because of content I have a min DirecTV sub and Everything+ on Dish. If DirecTV picked up more I would think of picking up more on that side.

Unfortunately I cannot get 148, and I would try if it had the West feeds, the problem is this would take redundant equipment on the ground. Given bandwidth Dish could do East & West (not so for DirecTV) and shoot them to both 61.5 & 148, but the immediate cost is on the ground to carry both. Bottom line: Even if they get 148 cookin', the line up will likely not be different. Believe me this doesn't make me happy either.

Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I posted the email addresses of Dish executives before on this forum but they were promptly removed by request from the same Dish executives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also sent same e-mail to Charlie Ergen and just got his reply

good news...watch the technical charlie chat this week..for info on 148 and

hdtv

c

unquote

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Per Technical Forum, they will have HD on the 148 satellite by the end of the quarter (June 30). They implied that they would try to be sooner rather than later. They will have HBO, Showtime, and PPV but not the demo channel.

They will also offer a HD version of their hard disk recording system early 2002.

Rick

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:
They will also offer a HD version of their hard disk recording system early 2002.
Wow, that would be cool . . . but I'm sure we'll have to pay a lot for that whereas the new subscribers will get it cheap. Ah well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This is great news for all you left coasters!!

I don't see how they could not offer separate west and east HD feeds. The satellite geography is to perfect not to. If they're forced to have redundant HDTV channels anyway why not make one west and one east. Folks in the west who can only get 148 will get the west HD time zone; and folks in the east who can only get 61.5 will get the east HD time zone; and I, here in central Colorado, can get both. Yep, sounds like a great setup to me ;-)

So, was it made clear whether the 148 would be a separate west feed or identical to the 61.5? Do both HBO *and* Showtime offer east/west HD feeds?

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The gist I got was that 148 will have the same East feeds as 61.5.

The HD PVR will be cool for new subscribers, but I can't imagine how pricey it would be as a standalone. Even after a bulk discount, it would still cost Dish ~$400-$500 just for the hard drives *alone* (I'm assuming they want to put at least 120-150 gigs in the thing). Then again, the D-VHS receiver was what, $800 or so? At least Dish has a precedent for selling ultra-high end units. If I had more patience, I'd wait for it (just ordered the 6000 this week).

Rich

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I didn't hear them mention anything about East or West coast feed for 148, just HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and 1 PPV-HD. Let me re-run my tape when I get home to be sure..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.