AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my 503cmx from Dell and got it hooked up to my Time Warner HDTV cable box. I have it attached to there component cables to bnc adapters to the RGB on input 2. The HD stations look very good, but the regular channels have the wrong aspect ratio and they are not showing full screen, most have black or grey edges around the corners. I looked at the settings for input 2 and do not see anything to change. I am having to use input 3 via the s video connection to get full screen on the standard cable channels. I am pretty sure this is something pretty simple that I have missed. I am new to this. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have mine wired the same as yours. HDTV is great but SDTV is not so hot blown up on a 50 inch screen. DVD's are very good though. I had mine calibrated by an ISF professional. He didn't think the connections were wrong, just typical performance for SDTV.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
brevardbound:

This question has been asked hundreds of times in one form or another. Do some reading in the HDTV forum.

Hint: to get the proper aspect ratio, don't watch up converted 1080i from your STB, otherwise, you can't zoom 4:3 material. Connect the STB's S-Video to input 3 on the 503 and you'll be able to zoom. You may also get a better picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I am trying to say is do I have to switch to input 3 to see standard cable feeds in full screen mode. When I view them on iput 1 which is my HDTV output I get black or grey around the picture and the screen is not full. HDTV channels look fine on input 1 but standard cable channels don't.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
brevardbound:

I thought I already answered your question. Run your STB to input 3 and use the zoom control. The STB is up converting everything to 1080i, which usually produces the worst SD picture. When it’s up converted, the panel stays locked in full mode, which is why you can’t zoom and eliminate black bars.

If you still don’t understand what I’m saying, then go to the HDTV forum and read hundreds of posts just like yours which are solved the same way. Try searching on 3100HD for starters, which should be your STB model number.

·
Registered
154 Posts
brevardbound:

Until TWC converts to the next generation Scientific Atlanta boxes, you can't change aspect ratios when viewing programs from the component output of the 3100HD. As Jim said, all content through there is 1080i, which locks HDTV monitors in "Full" mode, so S-Video is your best bet for non-HD programs. Newly announced SA boxes apparently allow aspect ratio changes through the component output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.