AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the various D-ILA projectors can display HD full screen for output through an anamorphic lens? Or what kind of scaler will take HD input and scale it to the projector's native resolution? Dean? You live in SF, right? Have you gotten HD on your G15 + ISCO setup?

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Kam,

I understand that it's not only possibly, but downright easy. Just switch the aspect ratio in the projector from 16:9 to 4:3.

This works on the D-ILAs for video-based material (like HDTV), but is disabled for computer-based material (like HTPCs).

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Yes, it is that easy. I do wonder, though, if the odd scaling algorithm in the D-ILA is still operating in this mode or not.

You know the one I mean ? The one where Mark Foster explained it actually puts 92% of a 1080i image into the 1365x768 portion of the panel ? Is it still doing that when in 4:3 mode ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Kirk,

Here is the information on how D-ILA handles 1080i HDTV material .

I have no idea if that still applies when you flip the switch from 16:9 to 4:3, but I would assume so. The source is still 1080i and the projector has the same setting in the 1080i Area Data, so it should still work.

In other words, if you thought that 1080i HDTV on D-ILA was amazing before...adding a Panamorph or ISCO should just make it even more amazing.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Well that was certainly my hope and expectation when I pre-ordered the Panamorph. It just recently occurred to me to wonder whether it actually holds true.

Thanks for the link. After re-reading Mark's explanation, it still sounds very specific to fitting into the 768 line area of the panel and I whether the D-ILA scaler algorithm takes into account that 1024 lines are now in use and it only substitutes out 56 scan lines on the alternating 1/60th of a second, or if it decides it isn't worth it and simply throws away those 56 lines and redisplays the same 1024 ? And what about the 555 pixels per line that didn't make it onto the first display field ? Does it still attempt to substitute those in ?

It sure seems like it has to use a different algorithm. Hopefully it still does at least the 555 pixel substitution for each line, but sprinkling in 56 scan lines does not seem as worthwhile as when there were 312 scan lines missing. Maybe it simply throws away every 20th line from the original image ? Or worse, maybe it reverts to doing what other scalers do and throws away those 56 lines and every 4th pixel on the remaining 1024 lines as well.

It could be really bad news.

I've waited for Leno to see if I can tell by eye. It is tough, but I swear there is less horizontal detail and more comb artifacts when I switch it into 4:3 mode.

Mark, can't you tell for sure by what you've had to do in the Dilard geometry wizard ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I had the original Mark Foster mods done to my G15 for the ISCO lens, but I'm sure that normally you can just set the format to 4:3 to have it handle 1080i for use with an anamorphic lens.

I'd guess that if JVC has gone through the trouble to set up the special algorythum for the 1360 X 768 HD mode, that they have done the same with the 1360 X 1024 mode, and just feed in the extra 56 lines inter-frame.

What I can say is that 1080i HDTV looks stunning with the ISCO lens, so whatever they are doing, it works wonderfully.

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
There is sometimes a problem with using the full panel with a HDTV source. The lower 1/4 of the screen gets out of phase with the upper part and produces a kind of a shift in the lower part of the image. Mark Foster came up with a patch for this problem.

Frank

------------------

Frank...

Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This forum is going to be flooded with these types of questions when the panamorph gets released and sells in volume. D-ILA users are lucky that the projector does not lock into the widescreen mode when we feed it a HDTV signal, but the projector does have some issues with projecting an HD image with the projector's "AR switch" manually selected for 4:3. This was initially discovered by Sbeall with the first generation ISCO lens. This thread has the best explanation of the problem. I believe this mod could be achieved with Dilard by essentially moving the offending information off the screen

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Don,

Thanks for bringing that thread back to life. I see you had wondered about its impact on the Panamorph back in December when we all thought we had a chance at X-Mas !

So apparently those of us without the Mark Foster mod are going to have a problem. In my quick checks last night of Dish 6000 HDTV, I actually had the image running too far off the bottom of the screen to see the interlace problem. I'll have to verify again tonight.

But Mark Foster didn't mention the scaler function cutting out in 4:3 mode and I feel certain he would have if my other fear was true.

Still, it looks like Panamorph users will need a fix of some kind, and Mark Hunter may be the only shot at providing it. (Although Mark Foster was kind enough to send me the HDTV mod last summer before he stopped doing this stuff, it includes the AR adjustment for the ISCO overstretch.)

And here I've been trying to convince myself Dilard was an unnecessary expense up to now. This hobby is bankrupting me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Kirk Ellis

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhhh that's great...

I remember reading that thread too, now that I've seen it again!

All I need is an inexpensive scaler that will do 3:2 pulldown for film sources 1080i (I'd settle just for 3:2 and nothing else...)

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mark,

My G1000 has been modified by Mark F for ISCO (at least that's what the person who sold it to me said). Is Dilard going to mess that up? (I'm still saving money to buy it )

If it does, can I backup the current mod before tweeking?

Is my ISCO mod going to work for Panamorph?

Jeremy

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

[This message has been edited by JeremyNeish (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Dilard was an unnecessary expense...
Hmmphh.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Mark, does that mean you know how to fix the 1/4-screen interlace problem using Dilard ?

If Dilard can take care of this problem, set up different geometries for the each input, adjust the HDTV image position to the top/bottom of the panel, and adjust the black-level, as well as the original substitute for remote control functions, then I may finally be a buyer. (It does do all that nowadays, doesn't it ?)

I know you've been holding your breath, kicking yourself, wondering what more you could possibly do to finally get Kirk to buy Dilard. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Kirk Ellis

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

Just recently, we reached the state of "complete knowledge" of everything that the projector can do. Anything that may be useful now or in the future is in the "Back Up Wizard", so yes, you can back up any mod, any calibration, anything at all that's been done to your projector.

You can restore anything you wish at any point, as long as you keep track of your back-up file. In fact, a few "deviants" (I won't mention any names) have discovered that you can back up things from one projector and restore them to another...

Hi Kirk,

Maybe http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

I haven't seen the "1/2 screen interlace problem". However, I have made the screen "split" with an HDTV input, and I was able to make it correct using the Advanced options in the Image Geometry Wizard. Maybe that is what you mean.

Anyway, I'm on the Pannie pre-order, too, so when it ships, I will be hard at work making some mods. I might have to hold off on your answer until then (sorry).

Everything else that you mentioned is possible. In fact, Dilard's not done yet ...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mark,

On a slightly related note. I have a G1000, when I feed a 720p signal from my Panasonic HDTV tuner via Component HD, I get strange double image with tearing.

I know Dilard can add support for 720p to the computer inputs, but can it also add support on the component video input?

Jeremy

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
So how does one fix the tearing on a dila with the 4:3 mode? I'm tired of seeing that line in the lower part of the screen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.