AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old PII 400MHz computer lying around and would like to add a HDTV card to it. This cpu meets the min requirements for many of the popular HDTV cards. Would this computer be able to use all of the features of these cards? I want to be able to watch/record/playback HDTV (ATSC) and watch/record/playback Analog (NTSC) and record from other analog sources. Would frames be dropped?

Cards with min. system requirements:

HiPIX - PII 333MHz

HiDTV - Celeron 333MHz

MyHD MDP-120 - PII 333MHz

I do not know of any others.

Please help, trying to go on the cheap, by not building a new computer.

jason

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
My only experience is with the MyHD 100, buy the 120 should be very similar. PII 400 is going to be marginal at viewing SD and HD. I don't think it may even have enough for watching and recording a HD at the same time. SD recording is almost certainly out except for perhaps the lowest resolution (300 by 240). Definely not what I would choose to watch (like super long play Video tape).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cards I listed are hardware decoders. I have some HD transport stream (.ts) samples in 720p and 1080i. I can play these files back but dropping probably (I do not know how to check frame rate) half of the frames with 720p and more on 1080i using VideoLan Client (VLC). I have viewed these files on my mac at work and know how they look at full size and full frame rate. Since the cards I listed are hardware decoders, would they watch/record/playback HDTV without dropped frames. Recording HDTV as a .ts file should just dump the incoming stream to the harddrive, not using much of the cpu. Playback should be using the decoder, again not using much of the cpu.

I anybody else using a PII 400MHz for HTPC?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I use a MyHD MDP-120 on a PIII 600 system with 256MB RAM and it works fine.

PCI bandwidth is much more important than the CPU speed. The decoder on the HD card does most of the work so the CPU is not taxed by the decoding process. I don't think you will have a problem if you go with a hardware decoder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.