AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Panasonic CT-20SL14 TV.

Link to TV



This TV has componenet inputs and UHF/VHF Inputs


If I buy an HDTV antenna, will it work on that TV and look better than normal TV?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,273 Posts
No... there is no such thing as an "HDTV Antenna".


You need and HD capable TV and an HD receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2
Hello, I have a Panasonic CT-20SL14 TV.

Link to TV



This TV has componenet inputs and UHF/VHF Inputs


If I buy an HDTV antenna, will it work on that TV and look better than normal TV?
Your question is a bit confusing. I think you're asking if an antenna for receiving digital signals would work well on your set through the UHF/VHF port?


You might just clarify to folks can answer better.


I don't know the answer even if I got your question right.


Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,723 Posts
Greetings


If the TV is not HD capable ... then the only way to get HD programming is to get an HD set top box that will downconvert the HD signal to 480i ...


HD cable boxes do this all the time and send out the HD channel programming out the S-video output.


The TV does not have an HD tuner.


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,273 Posts
H-m-m-m...

Thought I said that? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
H-m-m-m...

Thought I said that? :)
You did ... I just embellished it. :D


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
H-m-m-m...

Thought I said that? :)
Yeah - that's pretty much exactly what you said. I re-read his question over and over again to see if there might have been something I missed. It just seems strange that he mentions the UHF/VHF inputs and then asks if he hooks-up an "HDTV" antenna if the picture wouldn't be better. I know the title of his post has to do with "HDTV on a SDTV," but I wondered if that's really what he was asking.


I may have read "too far" into his question, it just seems if he's trying to get a better (HD quality?) picture on his SDTV.


I think he needs to clarify what he wants.


Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, justc had it correct:


I think you're asking if an antenna for receiving digital signals would work well on your set through the UHF/VHF port?


So that is what I was asking, but I guess it will not work without spending a lot more money and the picture quality will probably be the same.


Thanks :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2
Yes, justc had it correct:


I think you're asking if an antenna for receiving digital signals would work well on your set through the UHF/VHF port?


So that is what I was asking, but I guess it will not work without spending a lot more money and the picture quality will probably be the same.


Thanks :D
Right.


The only real way to see improvement is to get a digital tv w/a digital tuner (built-in or STB) to receive the digital signals.


I don't think anything in the digital realm will help with the PQ on your analog tv.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
Quote:
I don't think anything in the digital realm will help with the PQ on your analog tv.
thats not quite true

you can definitely see the difference between noisey analogue cable/OTA and digital cable/satellite/OTA on a SDTV


and remember all CRT TVs are analogue

the difference is Standard Def vs High Def (and Enhanced 480p) since HD CRTs are multiple scan rate displays


just think you can see the difference between DVDs and VHS

and analogue cable or OTA is not even close to the high quality NTSC sources like DVDs

Quote:
So that is what I was asking, but I guess it will not work without spending a lot more money and the picture quality will probably be the same.
same as what? DirecTV or some other digital TV service?

or the same as analogue cable or Over The Air?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
thats not quite true

you can definitely see the difference between noisey analogue cable/OTA and digital cable/satellite/OTA on a SDTV...
I was referring to what it might take to make his reception sharper and improve the PQ on her analog set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
You will be able to see a difference in digital tv via a hd stb on analog tv. I get good analog signal of my local channels via ota, but with the hd stb, you can see an improvement even with it set to 480i. The pictures seems to be sharper more vivid colors. It may be due to the fact that it is connected to the tv by composite or s-video vs. coax, but there is a difference.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
Quote:
I was referring to what it might take to make his reception sharper and improve the PQ on her analog set.
I know and that I kind of disagree

you should be able to see the difference between digital and analogue sources on a sDTV

analogue sources are not even using the full resolution of the display in most cases
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top