AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be stuck in a cable market serviced by the absolute most obnoxiously do-nothing cable company in the world. Not only do all our standard services (and their prices) suck, they don't offer any HD. But I DID hear something a little while back about AT&T beginning HD broadcasts in Chicago or something, and also about AT&T being swallowed up by Comcast. What's the story on this stuff? Any chance of getting HD in the Pittsburgh market anytime soon? Will Comcast give us HD if/when they take over? Also, is HD through cable any good? I've heard horror stories about signals being delivered around 10 Mbps. Input anyone?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I feel your pain. I am in the bay area, CA, here where we are serviced by AT&T and there is no cable HD here either. AT&T is not going to be "swallowed up" by Comcast. There is supposed to be a merger within the next 6 months, which is right now being challenged by some consumer groups and members of Congress. Like all mergers of this type, it will not be a good thing for consumers in general, though it may accelerate the availability of HD by cable in areas currently serviced by AT&T. AT&T is lagging badly on HD, but Comcast has been bullish on it for a long time. Here are a couple links, the first stating that Comcast intends to ramp up HD cable service a lot by years end, and the second a press release by AT&T regarding the merger stating that the merger will bring HDTV to its markets faster. Of course, AT&T also claims that this merger will "increase competition," so take whatever they say with a large grain of NaCl.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020314/phth007_1.html

http://www.att.com/news/item/0,1847,10302,00.html

Incidentally, none other than Microsoft is supposed to have a significant interest in this newly merged entity. Hmmm.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
AT&T is so bad nationally that one could believe that the merger could only improve things.

Unfortunately, there is a question about which culture will prevail.

AT&T is actually larger than Comcast. Further, one of the people most responsible for AT&T's failures, Mr. C. Michael Armstrong, will be joining the new company. (A reason for his selecting Comcast was the golden parachute he was offered personally. Does this shock anyone?)

So, it may well be the case that the merged company, to be called "AT&T Comcast," will be no better than AT&T.

Consumers are in a bind. Cable has retained its status as an unregulated monopoly. Like the Empire with the Death Star, they have every intention of using this against the consumer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi,

I spoke to AT&T rep. over the phone last week and He told me that AT&T will carry HD signal for five commercial stations in the beginning of 2003.

I hope this story is true.

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
443 Posts
I can't even get an AT&T cable box with an s-video port. It will be interesting to see if they live up to the big promise they made to Baby Powell, them & 9 others.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here in Chicago AT&T is sending the HD signal for CBS and some others over standard cable channels. That is via 8-VBS just like over the air.

This is NOT available with any digital cable service, just standard cable channels. NO CABLE box is involved. Just connect the coax to your STB antenna inputs and search for the channels. If the feed is sent to any cable box at all, it will not work for HD channels.

It also works the same on my MyHD pc card.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Recall a while back someone from CBS posted a long list of Chicago-area cable firms and cities carrying CBS as 8-VSB. Perhaps that thread became dated and got bumped (AVS's server gives a message it can't locate this suspected thread). If so, to aid HDTV newcomers with cable, it would save bandwidth and typing to update and repost the list. -- John

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
AT&T - "we'll get to it when we feel like it". Their cable service in Seattle has always been a year behind other major markets in delivering services. Their digital cable bites - noticable artifacts etc. They have no plans to put HD on cable. Thank (pick your deity) that OTA is happening and we have 8 digitals here now. In conclusion, AT&T sucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
No hope in sight.
That goes double for Adelphia. Upper management has bigger problems than making the customers happy (like staying out of jail).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.