AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this is the best forum for this question, but here goes.......

Comcast cable in my area just announced that it will be offering HDTV on cable, with a new motorola HDTV cable box starting next week.

Unfortunately the people manning the phones know little about it, other than it exists, and certainly cannot answer any questions about video or audio quality or specs or even whether digital audio hookup will be possible.

What they can tell me is that it will be an additional $10.95 per month, and will include just ABC and NBC, and one HBO channel. There will be one Showtime channel as well, but for this I would have to pay another $11.95, because I do not get showtime.

Is there anyone out there who either gets this service, or knows something about it, or the technology. Is it worth it? Is there enough out there broadcast in "HDTV" on the major networks? Is it truly HDTV? And what about the audio quality, the woman led me to believe that she thinks the audio is the same as what I am already getting, but she did not really know.

I am using a Pioneer HD610............I assume I would not need the optional HDTV tuner for this, or would I??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tachy
Is there anyone out there who either gets this service, or knows something about it, or the technology. Is it worth it? Is there enough out there broadcast in "HDTV" on the major networks? Is it truly HDTV? And what about the audio quality, the woman led me to believe that she thinks the audio is the same as what I am already getting, but she did not really know.
If they're using Motorola stuff, they're probably using the DCT2000 with the HDD-200 . Check out those links for the specifications of these. The HDD-200 contains a boatload of different connection options--I'm sure it's got what your TV needs. And no, you won't need to buy Pioneer's HD tuner. As for whether it's worth it, if I had access to HD cable, I'd have it. No form of HD broadcasting appeals to me more.

ABC is offering a good amount of primetime programming in HD this session, but NBC is only offering the Tonight Show and some thriller about a forensic pathologist (I haven't watched): "Crossing Jordan", I think. CBS has been the leader in HD programming--I wonder why they aren't carrying it? Is your local CBS affiliate not up and running with HD yet? And yes, it is real HDTV, in 1080i on NBC and 720p on ABC with multi-channel digital sound.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Ah. You are getting CBS, or at least you are, according to this press-release.

-- Mike Scott.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no cbs at this point. I am very impressed by the comcast hd feed on my mits 46807. Bruce on hbo last night was jaw dropping. As far as cbs the comcast hd rep in delaware told me they were supposed to have a contract with cbs worked out last night but he is waiting for confirmation from his home office. Also cbs is still having equipment problems that should be worked out by the end of the week. Once cbs shows up on your cable guide channel 182 it will be available. On my earlier post I had talked about having to switch between my tv's hd and cable inputs to watch none hd programming and to see the cable guide. There is a work around if you have the motorola digital dct 2000 box with s video outputs. This is not sanctioned by comcast and supposedly not authorized to have a comcast tech to hook up for you because of licensing and extra fees Comcast is not willing to pay. All I can say is to get a better upconverted feed on all comcast channels download the hdd200 manual and you can figure it out quite simply. Did I also mention dolby coax pass thru. I would also like to thank comcast for a excellent product well worth waiting for and a special thanks to well you know who you are at comcast. Ps the blonde on the hbo promo shallow hal to die for in hdtv.ps by the way the my nbc feed has also been fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
deldave wrote:
Quote:
There is a work around if you have the motorola digital dct 2000 box with s video outputs...... All I can say is to get a better upconverted feed on all comcast channels download the hdd200 manual and you can figure it out quite simply. Did I also mention dolby coax pass thru.
I'd be interested in this workaround. Where did you download the hdd200 manual?:confused: Don't have HD on comcast yet, but they are supposed to call me today to set it up (again!)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the pdf of the front and back. What exactly is a S/PDIF digital audio output, and does comcast HDTV have Dolby Digital sound? Can you connect this to a home theater receiver using either optical or coaxial digital connections?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tachy
I looked at the pdf of the front and back. What exactly is a S/PDIF digital audio output, and does comcast HDTV have Dolby Digital sound? Can you connect this to a home theater receiver using either optical or coaxial digital connections?
S/PDIF is the common digital coax audio standard (as opposed to TOSlink, the common digital optical audio standard). Comcast is just rebroadcasting the HD feed that they're getting from the local broadcasters (who are, in turn, getting it from their national affiliates), which would be in a digital form containing the multichannel sound as an integral layer; it would be difficult for them to strip it off and replace with stereo or mono even if they wanted to. So, if the network programming has AC3 sound, then Comcast's rebroadcast will have it. I'm certain that HBO and Showtime will have it.

See deldave's earlier post here about his experience with the equipment (and that whole long thread on the PA/DE/NJ Comcast HD service rollout) for more information.

Stop worrying and just order it--you will probably get put on a long waiting list to get the equipment anyway (unless, of course, you're willing to buy an HDD-200).

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My decision was no longer whether I was getting it or not..........that decision was already made after the first answer. I was just curious what I would be getting, since the comcast people are not very helpful.

I also wondered what I would have to buy, cable-wise to do the hookup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.