AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desire more contrast so badly, I'm thinking of selling my Sharp 9000 to "upgrade" to the lower resolution NEC but which has three times the contrast (3000:1 versus 1000:1).

Which do you think HDTV would have more apparent detail on: the higher resolution but lower contrast Sharp, or the lower resolution but much higher contrast NEC?

BTW - if anyone in So-Cal or even Las Vegas or Phoenix AZ has an HT1000 I'd love to bring my Sharp over to your place for a shootout. Or you could come to my place, I have a 100" 16X9 Firehawk.

And if you're considering Diva speakers or their successors, the Rockets, you're welcome to listen to my setup while you're here. :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, to anyone who replies "why not get an HD2 instead" it's mainly for $ reasons. I don't want to pay $6K or more for another projector, especially when I think that in 12 months I'll can probably find an HD2 for quite a bit less than that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I had the 9000u, I would keep it for at least another year...although you may be able to sell it for a good price now because its so popular. You'll have to check out the HT1000 for yourself but remember to look at other aspects of picture quality besides the black levels. It is likely that the 9000u will be marginally sharper in some areas. Why don't you find some other ways of upgrading....go HTPC and see some magic with your PJ.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have an HTPC, he he =)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main problem is that I used to own a CRT, and I still miss the silky smooth image and seemingly liquid picture that really looked like you could walk right in it - so three dimensional. But it was just too much trouble keeping it converged and such. Ah well, you can't have everything. . .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisreeves
I think that in 12 months I'll probably find an HD2 for quite a bit less .
Oh ya, and in 12 months, you'll probably want to wait for a HD3 or a HD2 with the new colour wheel. It is one endless pursuit for excellence. This is a good thing, though.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Chris, Your sharp will be better for HDTV. I own an HT1000, coming from a Sanyo PLV60(1366 X768). The details on HDTV were better on the Sanyo, don't get me wrong, HDTV still looks great on the NEC, but from memory the Sanyo looked better on a GOOD HDTV feed. On the three dimensional thing, no question on DVD the NEC has that going for it. I saw a CRT at a HT get together and that was my number one comment. It had so much more depth than my LCD at that time. The NEC has that depth(not quite as good, but MUCH better than my LCD) But back to the original question, for HDTV, I don't know that there would be much difference. I haven't seen the Sharp with HD, but I assume it would look great. Like lyndonlim said, unless you can get a good price for your Sharp you'd probably be better off keeping it.

Scott

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Add an anamorphic lens and you can have resolution that will be closer to the Sharp. One of the things I have read is that vertical resolution is more noticable than horizontal. Don't know if this is true or not as I have only compared increases in vertical resolution.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The strong point of the 9000 is HD. I saw the Infocus 7200 last week. Watching CSI on the 7200 was not much different, if at all from the 9000. I'll have a chance to see the NEC this weekend. I can compare the Terps/Florida game in HD on CBS

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, I'm not in agreement with you on that one Noah. I'm in the "more resolution is better for DVD's" camp.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Chris, why not just go buy a re-tubed XG135LC? I only suggest this because you stated you miss what you once had, which was a CRT projector. $4K can buy a nice CRT. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah you're right WanMan, someone near me has a great XG110 I can probably pick up for less than $3K and I am mulling over the idea. Such a hassle though compared to digital. . .

·
Registered
935 Posts
Chris,

Sounds like the bug has you. I'm still in the tweaking stages of my Sharp and hope that will keep me content for a while.

Bomber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.