AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find any recent forum conversations on this topic.... Does anyone know whether or not RCN is planning on rolling out HDTV over its network in the Chicago area?

My condo building is switching over to RCN from Comcast as a result of lower fees for cable tv + internet access, and I am wondering if I have anything to hope for re: HDTV delivery in the forseeable future.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Talked to an installer in front of my building last week who said they are currently upgrading more of downtown Chicago to digital cable (he said September launch). And of course digital would allow for HD. Add to this ... I talked to a CSR in the spring who said they hoped to offer HD in the summer. So who knows. If Comcast is indeed launching HD in May, as current speculation points to, then maybe RCN knows the heat is on them to match that. My building offers both, so there is some healthy competition, here at least.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have RCN also, and it's doubtful that we will see HDTV this year. RCN always seems to be a year behind in launching new cable features like VOD etc. I hope I'm wrong. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, my experience with RCN has been that they're long on promises and short on execution. It seems that they were "ready" to install service in our building "in a month or two" for the past two years, until they finally started unrolling new cable in 2003. Conversely, the people I know who have them tend to be happier than the ones I know with AT&T/Comcast, at least in our part of town.

Still, if they really do switch area 1 of the city "on" for digital this summer or fall, that would be a very promising first step.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDinHouston
And of course digital would allow for HD.
Comcast is currently sending 8-VSB HD broadcast feeds over analog cable. A digital cable box would have to be bypassed in order for a OTA tuner to recieve the HD signal from the cable.

Example: CBS is on Channel 117 (or analog 61) as a standard FCC approved 8-VSB channel and it is carred on Comcast analog cable. (As if it were being sent over the air to your tuner.) if you pass the feed thru any cable box, standard or digital, you will not be able to tune it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Comcast is currently sending 8-VSB HD broadcast feeds over analog cable.
Of course a more bandwidth-efficient approach would be to use QAM, which would require digital. Just reckless speculation that they would most likely offer HD via a digital service since many cable operators use QAM/digital to throw out the redundant bits and conserve bandwidth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RCN Chicago Customer Service is now claiming October for HDTV launch, when I called last week. I agree with some of the other posts though; they have a reputation for being long on promises and short on delivery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have any updates on RCN HDTV in Chicago? Getting anxious as I have struck out with OTA options.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A few weeks ago I spoke with the customer service manager for Chicago and he indicated they were aiming for an Oct rollout of digital cable in Chicago with HDTV rollout likely to follow shortly after that. I hope this holds true, as Comcast HD seems like a lost cause for downtown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I talked to RCN Customer Service today. They said that I should have HDTV first quarter of 2004 for the Lincoln Park area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only hope that that 1Q '04 doesn't really mean "July 2004", which seems more likely given RCN's past practices. Still, that's good news. Thx for the update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had an RCN technician in last weekend to replace a fried cable modem. He didn't know dates for digital upgrade completion, but he did tell me the frequent slowdowns and interruptions were due to the upgrade. Not sure I believe that, since video hasn't suffered the same interruptions lately, like data has. I also asked him if RCN Megamodem service (3Mb+) would be available to RCN Chicago customers after the upgrade is completed, like it is in other RCN markets. He acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. So, I guess we continue to wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.