AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Sharp PG-M15x (xga, dlp). We just got hdtv service through our local digital cable provider (comcast).

To get the signal into the projector, I've tried two different transcoders (KDS X-Blaster & KDS ClearVideo3), but with no luck. The color is all wrong. I can see the whole image in both 1080i and 720p, so there do not seem to be any scaling issues. However, 480p works fine using either transcoder.

Any idea on how to get my projector to accept the signal beyond 480p?

Thanks (c:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Hopefully you are just going about it wrong - and your projector can take component input

I have a Sharp PG A10X - I also have color problems viewing RGB input through my Key Digital Decoder (version before your clearview). However this decoder works great to feed HDTV from the Comcast Box (Motorola 5100 and now 6208) to my RCA direct view.

So I don't use transcoded RGB to the Sharp projector - when it is fed RGB from my computer video card or my MyHD HDTV card it works great.

When I feed from component sources like you I just use a component to VGA breakout cable and set the projector to component input; colors are fine then, hopefully your projector can take component input; the model number seems higher than mine

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,126 Posts
On the M20X, it accepts component via the VGA port (well DVI-I, but let's not get picky). Anyway, there is an option in the menus for changing from RGB to component. The logo looks like green dot, a red dot and a blue dot versus a green dot and a red and blue dot kinda merging. If you have that, kick it over to the one with the merging.

This is all assuming that the M20X is similar to the 10 and the 15.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thx for offering your advice.

In the owner's manual for the Sharp PG-M15, it states that is can only accept 480i signals through the component input. I tried that anyway with a 480p signal I got nothing on the projector's component input, but I *did* get an all green picture on the projector's RGB/VGA input :|

(DVI, RGB/VGA, and Component input are all shared on the DVI connector).

Indeed, the solution you stated works for me, but only for 480i. RGB feed from my computer works fine as well.

And I can get Comcast HDTV into my projector at 480p using the transcoder. But if I go to 720p or 1080i using this method, the color is completely wrong.

I checked out the specs on your pg-a10x (which is apparently cheaper, brighter, and 2 years newer than mine), and it appears that your projector is hdtv compatible right out of the box. Mine is not, hence my dillema.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I also get an all green picture using the component in with a vga/component breakout cable (there is no separate component in on the A10X - it is through the db15 connector); but then I just change the setting to component (from RGB) and it works properly; I assume you don't have such a setting (while using a breakout cable??)

If that doesn't work I would try flipping all the dip switches on the transcoder (or going to read the manual first and see which ones get the transcoder working right) I never did that on the projector because it was working right with the direct view which I still needed and component works for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm pretty sure whatever the solution is for me, it's going to be somewhat drastic. It seems that my projector is just too old.

Could it be the scan frequency range? My projector only goes from 31.5 to 80 KHz on H-sync. This is where things start going over my head.

I fear that the real solution is get a scaler/processor of some sort, but even if I got a cheap one, I might as well just buy a new hdtv ready projector. Ah, this is so frustrating. I can see the image, I just need to adjust the color timing somehow. So close...:confused:

Do you think a post to the video processor forum might help?

(c:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.