AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got HDTV installed today, and was wondering, since there is no test patterns on HDTV cable, how exactly do I set contrast & brightness first and foremost? I won't worry about color and tint, just contrast and brightness? I can't just pop in a DVD, because that's at 480P and the 300U remembers those preferences, but at HDTV, they go back to default.

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I had the same question this weekend. I think some people have found test patterns on HDNet maybe, I'm not sure. What I did was use AVIA with the DVD player and then transfer those settings over to the HDTV input. I just wrote down what my color, contrast, and brightness settings were and then switched to the HDTV input and used those same settings.

I don't know how accurate that is though. I ended up turning the color down another 7 notches to my taste, so contrast and brightness could also be off.

They both use the same component input, so I thought it might be close, but there's no telling what the differences are between what my cable box puts out and what my dvd player puts out.

Surely someone has a good answer for this one.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Couldn't you use a DVD player like the Bravo or Momitsu & upscale the Avia/DVE test patterns to 720p/1080i?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Brajesh,

That's an idea, but I don't think it would solve the problem since you still wouldn't be using that source, even if you were using the same resolution. But I'm no expert on this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I use a Bravo D1 via DVI, so that's apples to oranges. Also a different source. Neither i can really cary over comfortably. I did re-use my 480p DVD player settings over component, and it looks OK as far as contrast and brightness, but I have 0 clue as to what the color is supposed to be set at, so I left it alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.