Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

I just purchased a Hitachi HDTV w/tuner and I need to advice on which antenna to use, where to mount, VHF/UHF? All that good stuff. My ZIP is 73170 and I am in a single story house in Moore, I can do roof mount but would rather do attic or even better, indoor. Is this feasible? What have been your experiences with the XWX in OTA reception and what antennas are you using? I've also posted this thread in the local HDTV area, so someone should respond hopefully!

Thanks for the help!

SF

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My XWX should be delivered Saturday. As a test, I hooked up an old UHF/VHF set of Radio Shack bunny ears to see what kind of analog reception I got. Surprisingly, it was pretty good on most stations. From what I have read in the past, if you can get good analog reception you should be in good shape for HD. Guess I'll know if that holds true this weekend.

Edit: I remember some complaints about the XWX HD tuner a while back but don't remember what they were about (didn't concern me at the time). Something about the way channels were added maybe. Anybody know if that's been worked out?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been reading some of the new posts on the tuner and supposedly there is a software upgrade that is available from Hitachi. I won't take delivery on my XWX for a few weeks as that is when our house will be finished. Please let me know how your reception turns out!

Thanks

SF

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'll post to this thread after I get it. I'll make sure to test the adding channels manually issue to see if newer units already have that fixed or if you still need to order the flash card.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Doh!

CC just called to inform me there was a glitch in their inventory. I won't be getting my set until Thursday now.

·
Registered
748 Posts
By the way, this should help you get started.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp

Looks like digital is broadcast entirely in UHF in my area. According to their chart, I don't need a very powerful antenna. I get the analog UHF stations in very well with just the radio shack antenna.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I didn't forget!

Using that cheap Radio Shack antenna, I am actually able to get all of the local digital stations except CBS. All of them stay locked in pretty well. PBS is the only one I see occasional dropouts with.

I cannot manually add channels. I'll call Hitachi about that flash card upgrade this afternoon.

If antennaweb.org gives you all yellows for local stations, you probably won't need a very powerful antenna at all. The one I have is very old so I'll probably go to Radio Shack this weekend and see what other indoor UHF antennas they have now.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Before you do all of that, I would like to point out something that you should really do first. ONe thing you need to do first, is call your local radio shack and there is an old "bow tie" antenna that they have on clearance for 1.99, and some have it, while others dont. It was 18 bucks new in the catalog or so, and I found that to get all channels but 2 of mine like butter, and for one of those 2, I found a UHF mirror of the VHF which is common in many cities because of antenna's having to be primarily one of the other, although many claim both. I got 90 percent lock on all but 2 and 80 on those and for one affiliate all these great projects weren't worth it when 1.99 did it. EVen if your Radio shack doesn't have it, another will and they will move it to you if you ask.

Clarify mirror of VHf say channel 2 comes in bad as 2.11 well that is NBC and I found another copy of the same channel at 32.11 and when it identified that, it says relocking 2 at 32.11, and so you hit 2 on remote but it locks 32.11. Most likely on majors, but in all circumstances you don't need roof or attic and I had much better luck getting channels in HD then regular, so if I had used prior analog experience I would have waisted time and money to do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have the model # of this antenna everybody is oohing and aahing about?

Thanks! I'll do a search also on the forum for the #

SF

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soonerfann
Anyone have the model # of this antenna everybody is oohing and aahing about?

Thanks! I'll do a search also on the forum for the #

SF
They only have one antenna that is on sale for $1.99 and it looks like a gold microwave screen with 2 bowties on it, so when you describle it, they know what you mean. I have 5 of them in my attic because I realized they were getting rid of them because they worked the best and were 1/3rd the price of all the powered stuff, so I stocked up, but I don'twant to crawl up there when you don't need it. I will if that doesnt' work but I called 3 stores and I found it 3 times with no such number.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the nuts don't fall far from the tree. Addicted, you must be related to me baby! I found 3 of these miracles this afternoon and bought them all. $6.40 is what it cost me. I have no idea what I'll do with the other two I don't use, but I figured for that price and since they are supposed to work so well, why not? Then if I decide I need something for VHF I can use rabbit ears or is there a RS miracle for that too? You should have seen the dude's face when he pulled those boxes out of the store's backroom and wiped the dust off of them. He must have thought I was crazy. I quote him, "Looks like the tape on these is so old that it doesn't stick anymore. I think we have had these for like five years!" I just smiled and paid the man. Do I need to replace the ribbon cable with coax? I haven't even opened the box to see what comes with it.

Two weeks until the 57XWX gets to come home to Papa and his new digs! YEE HAW!

SF

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soonerfann
Oh the nuts don't fall far from the tree. Addicted, you must be related to me baby! I found 3 of these miracles this afternoon and bought them all. $6.40 is what it cost me. I have no idea what I'll do with the other two I don't use, but I figured for that price and since they are supposed to work so well, why not? Then if I decide I need something for VHF I can use rabbit ears or is there a RS miracle for that too? You should have seen the dude's face when he pulled those boxes out of the store's backroom and wiped the dust off of them. He must have thought I was crazy. I quote him, "Looks like the tape on these is so old that it doesn't stick anymore. I think we have had these for like five years!" I just smiled and paid the man. Do I need to replace the ribbon cable with coax? I haven't even opened the box to see what comes with it.

Two weeks until the 57XWX gets to come home to Papa and his new digs! YEE HAW!

SF
You may want to see if you can talk Gamble brew into coming down for your set. He is still doing sets for little or no cost to get experience, but he does all HItachi and since the cost of a normal calibration is about what flying him in from Denver to you and back would be, you may be able to talk him into it if you pet his fur just right. I don't know if he travels, but I know he does all Hitachi and seems to live for them. you are going to dig that set, and I hope you got that rediculous deal they were running on it. I really miss the ultra black screen, but I miss the ultra black cabinet even more and am shocked how nobody really talks about that. I see those borders all the time now on my swx and I hate that and I never saw it once on my XWX. You picked the good size too because the 57 images so much more vivid and sharp to the larger one. I hope you get one of the really good analgo ones' because oddly enough while my 57swx images good on analog, it isn't close to my 65xwx on analog which was just short of my old analog set. I do wonder if that darker screen had something to do with that because the smaller one is better at everything else, but not SD programming.

Let us know what you think about it all, and remember these Hitachi's come out a little hot and take about 150 hours to get burned in, and I experienced that with both of mine something fearce,and with other brands did not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.