AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to the HDTV thing and I'm curious what type of HDTV OTA antenna I should purchase. Using antennweb.com I'm approximately 24 miles from the towers. My goal is to pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, and UPN out of Philadelphia. I live in Medford, New Jersey very close to where Route 70 and Route 541 meet. I've read many threads on OTA antennas and I'm very confused.

Here's my setup: 50-Inch Sony GWIII with Hughes DIRECTV HD box.

I prefer to install the antenna in the attic or if possible just use an indoor antenna. Anyone in the area have any luck with the Silver Sensor in my area?

Any information anyone can provide would be of great help! This site has really been helpful with my HDTV needs. Thanks for your replies in advance!:D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
At 24 miles, and with some of the stations being at low power, you're probably pushing the capabilities of the Silver Sensor. A Channel Master 3021 would probably work fine for you in the attic, though if you want a slam dunk sure thing, the only way to go is a 4228 on the roof.

Most people seem to have a "what's the minimum I can get away with" mentality when picking an antenna. Be prepared for trial and error with that approach.

It probably wouldn't hurt to buy the Silver Sensor from a place with a good return policy.

Be sure to check out the Philadelphia-specific thread, as each station's specifics for power and range would be discussed throughly there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could I install the 4228 in the attic? My wife and I really don't want to put something on our roof, plus it's almost impossible to get up there due to it being very steep!

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
I'm a little closer than you. I tried a few indoor unsuccessfully.

I use this in my attic:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2160

Very stable...

I also tried a 4228 which performed no differently than the Radio Shack.

I lent the 4228 to a guy in Mt. Ephraim who also uses the R/S Yagi. The 4228 did not help him either.

I suggest, try the R/S first. If it doesn't work out, it can be returned. If you want to try the 4228... let me know. We can discuss.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How difficult is it to install? I've never installed an OTA antenna in my life. How do I hang it in the attic? Any inofrmation you can provide in installing one would be of great help! Are you able to pick up all our local stations with this antenna?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Radio Shack Double Bowtie works great for me with Hughes E86.

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
I ran a 2x2 piece of wood between the attic floor and roof joists and clamped the antenna to the post.

I get digital stations 3,6,10,12,17,29,57,61, and some of the Univision channels.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I live about 24 miles in the other direction of the Philadelphia towers and I use a RS double bow tie with a Motorola signal booster it works great for ABC-DT, NBC-DT, CBS-DT Fox-ED, UPN, Channel 35WYBE the only channel that is spotty is the WHYY-DT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update to my first past - Purchased the RCA ANT1250 hoping it would work. It was easy to install since it's an indoor antenna. I have the antenna pointing out a window in my sitting room. Guess what, it worked. I'm receiving 3, 6, 10, 12, 17, 23, 29, and 57 crystal clear. I've had it installed for a week now without any dropouts. I can't tell you me signal strengths since my DirecTV Hughes HD receiver doesn't have a signal meter. The antenna cost about $28 at Walmart. Anyone else have any luck with this antenna? I guy I work with was amazed that this antenna worked for me!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
There are so many factors that go into it that there is an almost infinte variety of what may work / vs. what won't work. All you can do is hook an antenna up and see what you get - if you're not getting everything you think you should, try another antenna / location.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in West Chester, 17 miles from the antenna farm, according to antennaweb, and I'm trying to find an antenna solution for my location. Currently, I have a Radio Shack VU-120XR uhf/vhf antenna in the attic, and the HD tuner card I have in my computer reports that UPN, ABC, WB, and CBS come in acceptably, between 80 and 90% on the tuner card's signal meter. WHYY comes in at about 50%, not good enough for a signal. Fox comes in at 30 to 60, and I can't get a stable signal on NBC.

I currently have no amplifier on the line. I tried a Silver Sensor as an alternative to the attic antenna, but couldn't get a good signal out of that.

At 17 miles, I would have expected a stronger signal, so I figure either my attic is getting a lot of signal blocked because of the construction of the house, or maybe I'm not line-of-sight or something.

I'd like to avoid having an externally mounted antenna unless I absolutely need one. So:

-how do I determine if the bad signal if from the material in the walls of the attic?

-how do I determine if I'm just in a bad location and will never be able to get Fox/NBC/WHYY?

-how come UPN/ABC/WB/CBS come in ok, and the others don't, if the broadcast antennas are all in the same place?

-would a UHF-only antenna in the attic, like the channel master 4228 be something to try? I'd want to be sure on this, since it's my impression these are not returnable.

-do you think an amp would help?

-is anyone else in the West Chester area reading this and have they had similar experiences?

Any other advice anyone has would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.