AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the ability to tape Alias for me on a DVHS recorder in HiDef? I would provide all the tapes and return postage. I don't have the ability to afford a tuner right now, my wife loves the show. Tapes might encourage her to spring for the tuner and antenna.

Please e-mail me at [email protected]

If there's something I can do in return, or a small fee, that would be fine.

Thanks

Az

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for offering. I am looking for HiRez, so can you tell me what the DVD would be – 480p, 720p, etc? I'm not familiar with DVD recording outside of my own burning, and I can't capture OTA HD since I don't have a tuner. We do tape Alias over regular broadcast to standard SVHS or DVHS tape, so I'm curious what the DVD might add.

Let me know,

Az

·
Registered
534 Posts
FYI.....the Alias DVDs and Alias OTA HD are very alike in PQ. There is not much of a difference if you have a real good progressive dvd player.

In any case, you should tell her, my wife and I highly recommend getting an HD-OTA tuner to watch Alias, it's worth the money alone. I practically got mine for free from Directv with their current offers.

It's (Alias) the only real reason to have an HD tuner for non-sports HD broadcasts on locals. Jennifer Garner in HD is kick-ass and a hot-athletic babe....ahhh!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that key information on PQ.

I don't have DirecTV so my only option for HD OTA with my DVHS recorder (JVC which uses Firewire) is the Samsung T-165 for 400.00 + a decent antenna like the Terk TV-55 for 60.00. All-in-all a load of cash for one program.

Az

Hopefully someone in Rochester, NY can to the tapes for me.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Jennifer Garner in HD, alone, makes it worth getting an OTA receiver for yourself. The show itself is the best one on television.(imo) There are quite a few other good programs on television I like as well, but Alias is tops.

Are you able to get an ABC HDTV broadcast where you live? You can get a decent OTA HD receiver for as low as $200 fairly easily. That would enable you to watch the show in true high definition.

I watch my high def feed when I can, but work Sunday evenings, so I always record the high-def broadcast on dvd ram. My machine does record it as it is sent, which is 720p (and in 16X9), but my dvd player will only play it back 480p. The picture is still outstanding, somewhat better than commercially sold dvds (for example seasons 1 and 2 of Alias) which also look very good.

But watching any HD programming live is still the best way to go. This will offer the best PQ.

I agree with napa newbie, you & your wife should try and get an HD receiver for yourselves. You'd also be able to have HD reception for any other programs you might watch. On top of that, the money spent on DVHS tapes and the shipping of said tapes (and even the small fee ;) ) could quickly add up to the cost of the OTA receiver. Just a few thoughts.

It is worth mentioning again... watching JenniferG in true HD is... well... WOW!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the sugggestions. However, my 2 JVC DVHS recorders only have Firewire (IEEE-1394) input for HD. The Samsung T-165 has firewire out but is 400.00.

I'd be happy to loan someone my second DVHS recorder if they have firwire on their tuner, for the duration of the season to get the tapes.

Az

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Something is amiss. Two D-VHS VCR's and no firewire STB?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed! But this way I can digitally archive material, and transfer over firewire to my Mac for editing. One machine sits in my HT, the other by my Mac.

So, I'm hoping someone can provide some Alias HD I'd love to see.

Az

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.