AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the HDTV scene. I am located in downtown Chicago. To be more specific, I'm on the 14th floor of a building near the intersection of Division and Lake Shore Drive. Can anyone report what OTA reception is like downtown? Also, I don't have a balcony, and I'd like and indoor antenna that's discreet to quell my wife's decor issues. Can someone make a recommendation on a compact antenna? I've read mixed reviews of the Terk TV55.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kshipman
I've read mixed reviews of the Terk TV55.

Thanks,

Ken
Mixed like the martini made of gin, an olive, and the bartender whispering "vermouth" over the glass.;)

The usual recommendation for your situation is to combine the cute little Silver Sensor for UHF and a 92" homemade dipole for WBBM. Of course you might be the other person to get a TV55 to work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Silver Sensor gets virtually nothing. I live a few blocks south of Addison and the lake, 5th floor, can see the Hancock Building from LR window, can't see Sears Tower.

HDsuccesses: WBBM (sometimes), ABC (sometimes), PBS (sometimes), NOTHING (last night).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was considering the Samsung 165, assuming I'll get a Tivo or some other recording device in the future with a firewire port.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ken

·
Registered
67 Posts
definitly want something with very little gain. Channel Master's 3010 or Winegard's GS1000 are excellent for out door placement. Otherwise the Greywolf is right on as most people on the forum really reccomend the silver sensor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live at Addison and the lake in a 3rd floor condo. I just celebrated my one-year HDTV anniversary and I still can't receive all the stations. I used the Radio Shack double bowtie, which I understand was discontinued. But that served me better than half a dozen other antennae put together, including the silver sensor. I got the silver sensor to work only while holding it at elbow height, sideways, pointing it out the window, and with the neighbor's blinds drawn. And only then I only got PAX. yay. And the neighbors thought I was monitoring their phone line from across the courtyard. :p

Point is, there may be no way to get all the channels all the time. But at least try a half a dozen or so different antennae and just keep the one that works best for your location. And if you want to try that Radio Shack antenna, do a search on the forum - I do believe there is a similar model under a different brand available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.