AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that with an updated driver and a special cable you output to HDTV 16x9 format on an HDTV.

The cable that was discribed was an s-video out to componet in however I don't think thats possible. There is a DVI out on the board maybe that is what was used.

Anyone have any idea what type of cable is needed and where to find this cable and what updated driver I needs?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No clue... It does not seem possible..

Anyway I have a Ti 4400 and using POwerstrip makes avery nice HDTV output for my Sony VW10HT projector :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well if that TV out port on those cards has 9 pins to it and is not a svideo jack as Marks post indicates, looks like the hardware is capable of it. The video encoder on those boards (Conexant's CX25871 - http://www.conexant.com/products/prodparts.jsp?id=278 ) is capable of outputting component hi-def signals. It would be real interesting to see if Nvidia could enable this in the driver. I would buy one of these in an instant if they could do this. I would love to have it with a Matrox like DVD Max setup to my HDTV.

Rob

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well he claims to have seen it and I don't think he would lie so it must be possible, just have to figure out how. I want to see it for myself it must be just awesome!

·
Registered
772 Posts
This could be a misunderstanding... a passive VGA -> RGBHV cable into one of the HDTV's that has a switchable component / rgbhv input. Nothing novel here, if that's the case...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RSawdey,

Your saying the 9 pin vga out on card to rgb component in on HDTV will allow 1920x1080 resolution?

Do you know if there is such a cable?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So its a cable that looks like and s-video on one end and has R G B on the other?

If so where might one find such a cable?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, let's calm down a bit. We have to make assumptions here. We all know that you can't go straigt from vga to compoent no matter what kind of cable you have. The TV in question here must have RGBHV inputs which will take direction connections from a vga/hgbhv cable. Otherwise, there needs to be a transcoder in the mix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like the cable that goes from the video card to a Hollywood Plus DVD card. It's the same size as s-video but has more pins.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That round port with 9 pins is in fact a S-Video out, BUT...It is also a composite out and composite in and S-Video in. Personaly that brings my pin count up to 4+4+2+2=12 but they most likely have tied some of the grounds together. The special cable that SHOULD come with a retail card breaks out the 9-pin to the other IN/OUTs. THIS IS NOT A HD IN/OUT.

If you have a television that has a vga or svga input you could hook it up directly to the card assuming that you have PowerStrip set up to display the custom resolution needed. In this case 1920x1080i. I would not bet on interlaced overlay or hardware support form an nVidia graphic card (I own several 2 and 3's and none of them support interlaced well at all). More likely you are going to want to use 960x540p or another progressive rez.

If you television does not have SVGA in don't panic! |_:p _| you need a device called a transcoder to go from vga to component. I personally have not used one but I have heard good things about units ranging from $140 to $180 in price.

Special cable my rosy red a$$, somebody just didn't know what he was talking about :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was talking about VGA -> RGBHV, nothing to do with the DIN port... this is really just a connector issue, VGA is RGBHV with a special connector. Some HDTV's with component inputs are switchable between YPrPb and RGBHV, like the Princeton Graphics HDTVs... You'd need to use Powerstrip too, if the standard HDTV rates aren't available... and 720p (or 960 x 540p) would probably be preferrable from the Nvidia chips.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think some folks are missing the point here. The chip on these cards that outputs the svideo and composite TV out signals is also able to output component HDTV signals (or RGB for that matter). Now as scrybe states there may not be enough pins in the din connector to support this. But maybe they are able to re-use the svideo and composite pins to get the component signals out. Looking at the block diagram for the chip, it looks to have 4 analog outputs. These outputs are probably reconfigured depending on whether you want composite, svideo, component, or RGB.

Rob

·
Registered
322 Posts
I output HDTV at 1920x1080i from my PC to my HDTV with no special cable.

My Pioneer Elite HDTV (and probably the regular Pioneer HDTV version) has a 15-pin VGA connector on input 3 that can be switched instead of the component cable connectors. I know that some (if not all) the Mitsubishi HDTVs have RGB in, but using three RCA connectors. I also use a transcoder for my RCA HD receiver which converts the 15-pin VGA out to component so I can have it on input 1. I wouldn't use the RCA transcoder for the PC though - there are a couple of others that are better - search here with "transcoder" to get more info.

I currently use a Radeon 8500 video card set at 960x540p for DVD and 1920x1080i for photo slide shows. I also run Unreal Tournament (usually 900x500p because of HDTV overscan) which looks awesome on the 52" widescreen. I used to use a Matrox G400 the same way.

Take a look at how to set up a HTPC in this forum to see how to do it and the in's and out's of the various display cards.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ken,

An acquaintance of mine has the Pioneer Elite 64" HDTV, and he's tried to use the VGA connector at the back, apparently to no avail. He's not much of a techie, and I haven't really had the desire to start fiddling with his setup. If you could enlighten me, though, I'd appreciate it. Apparently, he was able to get 640x480 through it, but nothing else.

TIA

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scrybe
If you have a television that has a vga or svga input you could hook it up directly to the card assuming that you have PowerStrip set up to display the custom resolution needed. In this case 1920x1080i. I would not bet on interlaced overlay or hardware support form an nVidia graphic card (I own several 2 and 3's and none of them support interlaced well at all). More likely you are going to want to use 960x540p or another progressive rez.
jahesh,

As scrybe described above you have to have PowerStrip (or equivalent for your display card) in order to create custom resolutions.

640x480p 60Hz is the only non-custom setting available.

Most HDTVs only accept 60Hz refresh rates and you can reportedly damage the set if you leave in on too long at an incorrect setting.

Check the FAQ at the top of the forum for the how-to's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.