1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
402 Posts
AFAIK, the SDI capture card doesn't support HD-SDI - that's just way too much bandwidth for a computer bus right now...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very interesting. It would be an excellent addition for those of us with a WinTV-D card or anyone who wants to be able to record HD on one machine and play back on another. My questions would be about the price, availability and compatibility with current HD files.

Also, just like the DVD decoder boards, this is only a temporary solution while our computers lack the speed to do this kind of decoding in software. As with hardware DVD decoders I would expect the quality to be less then that of software based decoders.

Tomasz

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: "As with hardware DVD decoders I would expect the quality to be less then that of software based decoders. "

I don't think this is necessarily true for an HD playback card.

This card outputs the HD as DVI or DB15 analog directly, no overlay involved. Why would the vieo be any worse than that from the DB15 output of a DTC100? If they use similar quality HD decode and D/A convertors, there's no reason it couldn't be as good as an HD STB like the DTC100.

I'm just throwing out speculation here, as I know nothing about this card, other than the page I found while googling for "SDI digital video"...

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I am more excited that HDTV card manufacturers are supporting "standard" HDTV file format and future HDTV software playback support and 3rd party software support.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the link and the heads up RGB. I think you are 100% on the right track. I have been following the SDI threads closely and noticed that Alan was a little surprised that the response to the dScaler ready capture card with SDI input was not more enthusiastic. Personally, I was excited and ready to buy when I first read the post but then thought about how much better looking good HDTV is compared to my best SDTV and started thinking about how many HDTV tapes from HDNet I could get for the $400 - $1100 it would cost to be SDI ready. I wonder if others are making similar cost-benefit analyses.

Somewhere in the Poor Man's SDI thread there is mentioned a Philips chip, the CLC030, which sounds as if it could substitute for the CLC020 that Robert Cobler used. Using the CLC030 to give the capture card HD-SDI capabilities would put us close to being able to scale to 1080p all in the digital domain; it seems that all that would be needed to produce 1080p close to that big bucks Faroudja scaler would be motherboards with 64 bit PCI slots, 64 bit PCI capture and HDTV cards and the 3.5 GHz P4s that Intel says they can introduce by next year. In a year or so who knows, NBC might be broadcasting lots more HDTV, there could be lots more of the big 3 sports broadcast and many more displays that could benefit from 1080p might be on the market.

RGB sounds like he is ready for a 1080p future.

Milton Henry

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
From the web site
Quote:
All actually relevant HD video standards like 1080i or 720p and all usual framerates including 24p are sup-ported.
I makes me wonder which irrelevant HD video standards it doesn't support.

Also I wonder if it can scale or process at all, or if it would play 480i at 480i.

But it's still kinda interesting. ;)

- Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.