AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just "upgraded" from the Panny AE100 to the Sanyo Z1. Right now I have a Motorola HDD201 HDTV decoder (Starchoice provider) connected to my Sanyo Z1 through component video. IMO the picture looks way too soft and fuzzy compared to the same setup I had with my older AE100. My HTPC gives a much sharper image on DVD material thru the VGA input, so I know that the Z1 is capable of doing much better for HDTV content.

Is anyone using a component->VGA transcoder on the Z1 for HDTV material? If so, which transcoder (AA or Key Digital) would work well with the Z1?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
414 Posts
It might be the cables you are using for your component video connection. I use component for my HDTV input (Rogers Cable & my 1HD), and it looks sharper than my DVD player via component input.

I do not remember reading any reports of significant sharpness differences between the component and VGA inputs of the 1HD, but I have not used the VGA for DVD (no HTPC).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are high quality Belden cables with Canare conenctors, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the cables. Besides, they worked perfectly well with the older AE100.

I agree that HDTV on component looks sharper than DVD on component, unfortunately it is not as sharp as DVD using HTPC (for me anyways).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did the AE100 look sharper than the Z1 with HDTV on component? If so, then it is very strange. Is the HDTV you are watching 1080i?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HDTV content I am watching is 1080i (i.e. the PBS demos).

I thought it was strange too that the AE100 looks sharper than the Z1 on HDTV using component. Mind you, the HDTV clips I have stored on the harddrive of my HTPC look extremely sharp on the Z1, but of course that is thru the VGA input. That is why I want to see if a Component->VGA transcoder would yield better results on the Z1.

Anyone?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
the component input of the z1 is IMO, a fair amount sharper than the vga on the ae100 and is way sharper compared to the ae100 component.

Something must be up with your setup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am using the same equipment on both the AE100 and Z1, a Panny RP56 DVD player and a Motorola HDD201 HDTV decoder connected using Belden component cables. Comparing the two pjs, this is what I find:

DVD Playback using Component = Z1 sharper

DVD Playback via VGA using HTPC = Z1 sharper

HDTV using Component = AE100 sharper

HDTV via VGA using HTPC = Z1 sharper

I tried setting the Sharpness level to the highest, and all it did was introducing more noise. I am not saying that the HDTV stuff looks really bad thru component, it just doesn't look THAT much better than DVD. And I know it can do a lot more, since I've seen HDTV stuff running on this projector via VGA from my HTPC.

Rlindo, if you've tried playing HDTV material (1080i) using both VGA from a HTPC and component from a HDTV decoder, and picture quality and sharpness looks exactly the same to you from both, then I know I have a problem with my unit.

·
Registered
904 Posts
mdmaclean -

From what I've read from your previous threads, I believe we use very similiar setups..

Have you ever considered going the HTPC route w/ your Z1?

I originally built my HTPC for NTSC scaling/interlacing.. but decided to visit the local Comp USA store and purchase a DVD drive yesterday for the HTPC..

What a difference 720p makes.. I was very impressed!.. I don't see my RP-62 getting much use in the future..and I use some of the cheapest VGA cable I could find.. Picture quality is so much sharper... might be something to consider if it sparks your interest...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Breakstuff,

I know this is off topic, but are you using ffdshow with your HTPC and Z1.

Looking for some good configurations.

My RP-82 is also collecting dust right now....HTPC is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've tried connecting 1HD/PLV-Z1 to the Hipix HDTV card. The VGA connection is much sharper than the component connection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone here used a component->VGA transcoder to connect a DVD player or HDTV decoder to the VGA port of the Z1? I really need to make sure that it works with the Z1 before dishing out the $250 bucks or so.

Someone must have tried this setup here..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone here used a component->VGA transcoder to connect a DVD player or HDTV decoder to the VGA port of the Z1? I really need to make sure that it works with the Z1 before dishing out the $250 bucks or so.

Someone must have tried this setup here..

·
Registered
904 Posts
Seabird -

I just installed the dvd drive 2 days ago and haven't had a chance to fiddle with all the available software.. I am currently using PowerDVD that came with the unit... I have downloaded ffdshow,ZoomPlayer and the needed DIVX codecs and will be experimenting with that soon..

My HTPC acts as a "Black Hawk Down" gaming server when I'm not using it for multimedia, this wasn't intentional, it just happened.. The server stays full 24/7 and I hate having to "boot" the players at times.. but I'll get around to it when I get greedy.. ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BreakStuff
mdmaclean -

From what I've read from your previous threads, I believe we use very similiar setups..

Have you ever considered going the HTPC route w/ your Z1?

I originally built my HTPC for NTSC scaling/interlacing.. but decided to visit the local Comp USA store and purchase a DVD drive yesterday for the HTPC..

What a difference 720p makes.. I was very impressed!.. I don't see my RP-62 getting much use in the future..and I use some of the cheapest VGA cable I could find.. Picture quality is so much sharper... might be something to consider if it sparks your interest...
720p looks much nicer than the RP62? I would have guessed that you would try to get your HTPC to put out 1080i (or 540p). By using 720p the projector still has to do scaling.

Do you connect via VGA cable or component with a fancy video card?

·
Registered
384 Posts
When the Z1 was released, most reports stated that HDTV via VGA was far superior than component. This is the same observation that yunfeng has made. Try going through the VGA port and you should get an improved picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.