AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mitsubishi 65 inch widescreen high def. tv model#WS-65313 and a hughes e-86high definition direct tv receiver. I have noticed when i am watching a program that is in high definition and there is alot of action on the screen like an explosion. I am geting real bad pixelation at first i thought it might be the video cable so i went out and bought monster component video cable but. I still am getting the pixelation any one have any thoughts what might be causeing this. thanks

·
Banned
539 Posts
If it is a blocky type pixelization, it has nothing to do with your setup. It is compression problems with the HDTV signal. I notice this on CBS 1080i, but only during real fast action. You can see it in their HDTV commercials when the shot changes. Sometimes this is worse because your local OTA channel is "multicasting" which means the digital HDTV channel is sharing space with another channel, which means compression artifacts are even more prevalent. It could also be your decoder, but I doubt if it is your TV or cables.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The pixelation is very evident when there is a strobe light going off. ie. The blueman group on Jay Leno, or the night club scene on CSI last week.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Generally, this is the result of more picture data than the bandwidth available to your STB. Sequences of frames with a large amount of random change require a large amount of data to convey the picture information. During a compression phase called quantization, the amount of data is systematically reduced. Unfortunately, this reduction in data results in reduced resolution for that 8 pixel by 8 pixel block. When the resolution reduction is large, the adjacent blocks do not blend together well, and you see that as blockiness. Anyway, the bottleneck is somewhere in the path to your STB and has nothing to do with the connection from the STB to your mits. So, unless your old component cables where real dogs, the monster cables are expensive overkill.

Ernie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.