AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Sanyo Z2 front projector arrives soon with a dvi(hdcp) input.

Unfortunately I'm with Bell in Canada and the only HD receiver is with component. Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality when using a DVI connection?

If so it would seem to be a shame for me to buy the existing unit. However Bell can not tell me anything regarding time frame for new units. Could be a month , could be a year. I don't know whether to wait and hope.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have a Z2 but cancelled my order for the LG LST-3510A HDTV/DVD combo unit when I read a lot of posts about handshake problems with the Z2. So, I don't have HDTV, but I don't feel cheated just yet. I'll get it when I'm ready - when I see a box (probably posts) that I think is a good one for me to get. The LG, maybe, if the issues are sorted out or LG and/or Sanyo fix the problems.

Anyway, I can only relay what I've heard and my impression is that the difference (between component and DVI) can vary. It's not apt to be very significant in a lot of cases, maybe not noticeable in fact.

Hope you very much enjoy your Z2 - think you will.

I don't understand your circumstance with Bell, where you feel limited to a receiver with only component connections. Are you talking about a STB for cable? Myself, I'm going to go OTA, at least initially.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muse, what started me wondering about the difference in picture quality was reading about everyone buying the Bravo and the Momitsu dvd players just because they had a DVI output.

I am not sure if I am fortunate like you to have the OTA option. Here Bell is one of two satellite providers we have who offer HD. Unfortunately they seem to introduce new equipment (similar to Dish) much later than you guys get it in the US. They sort of make up for it by having one of the best HD channel lineups in North America.

I can relate regarding regarding the Z2 that I too contemplated canceling. The LG is one I missed looking into.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I got one of the pretty early Z2s, not thinking much about the benefit of waiting for the early bugs to be fixed. I was more concerned that they'd be harder to come by if I waited a month or two and it turned out I was right. My firmware is the earliest, 101. They are up to 104 or later now. I think it might be related to possible HDCP handshake issues with certain DVD players, the LG 3510A in particular. That LG, BTW, does cable as well as OTA (but it's not practical to do both!). The LG doesn't do dish.

I think an issue for you is that different components' quality for different outputs can differ in quality. At least, that's what I gather by inference by reading the AVS Forums threads. My Momitsu V880 DVD player seems to do pretty well from both DVI and component. It's a quirky little box, though, and you have to have a tolerance for idiosyncratic behavior to like it. The PQ's very good if you can excuse the quirckiness.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you actually differentiate between the two inputs?

If there is no difference then I probably shouldn't wait. As well I read Widescreens Reviews article about some FCC HDTV rulings. They mentioned they are going to try to protect digital signals from being copied but not analogue. They then speculated this may cause a run on analogue devices (mainly DVD recorders) prior to them being phased out to ones with digital interfaces.So depending on ones opinion whether copy protection will ever happen anyways, it might be advantageous to buy todays units including HDTV decoders.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maple leafs
Can you actually differentiate between the two inputs?

If there is no difference then I probably shouldn't wait. As well I read Widescreens Reviews article about some FCC HDTV rulings. They mentioned they are going to try to protect digital signals from being copied but not analogue. They then speculated this may cause a run on analogue devices (mainly DVD recorders) prior to them being phased out to ones with digital interfaces.So depending on ones opinion whether copy protection will ever happen anyways, it might be advantageous to buy todays units including HDTV decoders.
I'm not aware that the DVI can actually be detected as superior simply by viewing. It may be, theoretically I guess it's supposed to be better. I know a guy who also has the Z2 and the Momitsu and he says he actually prefers the component! However, we're talking about the Momitsu here and the unit you're considering might have relatively inferior performance via component. Another possibility, of course, is that you could have difficulty establishing an HDCP DVI connection with the Z2. Such things are not uncommon with the Z2 and some components. That's one reason why I think it's a good idea to read posts by people who are actually using the equipment you are contemplating before you buy. I've known these things for years, but waved on that before I ordered my Z2 and LG. But I read posts that made me worry before my LG shipped and I cancelled my LG order. Right now I'm just waiting. I'm not all that antsy to have HDTV. I do want it, but right now I have excellent DVD and a LOT of great movies I've never even seen, so what the heck? I'll watch the super bowl in regular old analog SD this year.

I guess you're saying that there may be a run on analog digital recording equipment while it's still available. Will digital copy protection mean that you can't record HDTV digitally? I guess you will still be able to record the analog signal coming from your HDTV tuner with analog equipment. Myself, not having a digital tuner yet, I'm still recording using SVHS analog tape VCRs and I'm also recording digitally on my computer, which has a Winfast TV tuner card (analog broadcasts received only). I think that recording digitally received programs any way at all (even having the signal transferred analog from the receiver to the recorder) is going to be superior to recording analog broadcasts. Hey, I'm really only speculating, but the posts I've read suggest this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the picture quality differences is only apparent when recording, I think I'm going to take the HDTV plunge right now.

It is somewhat of a shame because I eliminated a few projectors from my initial search just because they did not have dvi/hdcp. Oh well. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maple leafs
If the picture quality differences is only apparent when recording, I think I'm going to take the HDTV plunge right now.

It is somewhat of a shame because I eliminated a few projectors from my initial search just because they did not have dvi/hdcp. Oh well. Thanks for your help.
I hope I didn't say the PQ differences are only evident when recording. I had no intention of saying that. I think that DVI capability is one of the more important features a PJ can have at this point. It simply makes sense. I'd think that any PJ coming to market now that doesn't have this is probably seriously lacking in other ways too. In any case, I bet you'll be pretty happy with your Z2. What I am saying is that if DVI is not currently an option in your HDTV, I'd say it shouldn't be a show stopper. Component will probably be practically as good. If you have a choice, however, you should try to read reviews. Different components can have better component connection capabilities as well as other quality differences.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My impression is that good quality component is almost indistinguishable from DVI from a PQ standpoint. [That's the case with my Samsung TS-160 D*/OTA STB and Pio 433CMX plasma.] HDCP would, of course, be a completely different can of worms.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I tested this on a smaller HDTV set, and using a belden/canare vs a dvi, the dvi was noticably better to not only my eyes, but my buddies AND his wife. It was so obvious, I ordered my dvi cable after my 100 buck component cable came back a loser:) go dvi. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there...which was part of the reason for me bringing a good quality component cable:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.