AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about channel 509 and 199 on direct tv. Is there a preview channel. I want to test my new HDTV receiver

, I am waiting for my OTA antenna but don't want to subscribe to DTV yet.

Tried to do a search but the search engine was busy.

------------------

1 SAT-T60 2.5 finally

2 SRV-2000

[This message has been edited by tater2 (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question, but...

If you don't have your HDTV tuner, you won't get HDTV at all - you won't even be able to tune 199 or 509 once you subscribe. There is no HDTV preview channel in the same sense that channel 100 is a DirecTV preview channel that pops up even if you haven't subscribed. Channels 199 and 509 are the only HDTV channels on DirecTV at all, but you'll need to subscribe first to see them.

You can use your HDTV tuner (what model?) to tune OTA stations without a DirecTV subscription.

If this doesn't answer your question, you probably need to clarify your question considerably.

------------------

-Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonATL (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Do you have a directv HDTV reciever? If so then that will work as an OTA tuner as well. If you don't have a directv HDTV reciever you can't get any HD material from Directv.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses, sorry for not clarifying the question. I have a Toshiba 65HX81 and a DST-3000. Every thing is fine with the setup. I have not gotten a HDTV antenna and have not subscribe to DTV yet. I wanted to see if DTV had a preview channel like 100 to test the HDTV tuner. I can get OTA channels but my OTA antenna is on order.

Another question how much does DTV charge for HBO channel 509.

Thanks again and sorry for the little info in the first post.

Tater

------------------

1 SAT-T60 2.5 finally

2 SRV-2000 106 and 35 hr

1 65HX81

1 DST-3000

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tater2:
Another question how much does DTV charge for HBO channel 509.
$12

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

Thanks I will call DTV tonight.

------------------

1 SAT-T60 2.5 finally

2 SRV-2000 106 and 35 hr

1 65HX81

1 DST-3000

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you pay the $12.00 for HBO (includes: 501-511) then you dont need to pay the $7.00 charge. If all you want is HDnet, the $7.00 is the cheapest way to go. If you want all of DirecTV's HDTV programming (199 & 509), all you need to pay is the $12.00 HBO a la carte package (and you'll probably have to ask DirecTV repeatedly for it before they understand).

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found this on http://www.directv.com/press/pressde...12,434,00.html

It says no additional cost. Is this true?

HDNet programming is currently available on channel 199 to all DIRECTV subscribers at no additional monthly programming cost. To receive HDNet on DIRECTV, consumers may purchase an HDTV set with built-in DIRECTV System Receiver or a DIRECTV-enabled HD set-top receiver and a triple-LNB 18"x24" Multi-Satellite Dish antenna. HDTV sets integrated with the DIRECTV Receiver, as well as DIRECTV-enabled HD receivers, are available from Thomson Consumer Electronics (under the RCA and PROSCAN brands), Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Hughes Network Systems, Philips and Sony.

------------------

1 SAT-T60 2.5 finally

2 SRV-2000 106 and 35 hr

1 65HX81

1 DST-3000

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RScogland:
If you pay the $12.00 for HBO (includes: 501-511) then you dont need to pay the $7.00 charge. If all you want is HDnet, the $7.00 is the cheapest way to go. If you want all of DirecTV's HDTV programming (199 & 509), all you need to pay is the $12.00 HBO a la carte package (and you'll probably have to ask DirecTV repeatedly for it before they understand).

Basically you need to tell DTV that you only want the $12.00 HBO a la carte package without mentioning the 509 HD channel because it might confuse them. You'll automatically get all HBO channels including 509 HBOHD and the HDNet 199.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yes, but you need to be a DTV subscriber - i.e. have some package. the cheapest is the $7 package mentioned above.

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the info. I called DTV and activated my DST-3000. HD.net looks great.

Thanks again,

Tater

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.