AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be setting up for HDTV tomorrow through Directv . I understand they offer a $10.99 pack for some stations HDNET, ESPN , Discovery etc. I would like to add one of the movie channels that have HD also , I understand its a choice between HBO and Showtime ? ANyone have an opinion on what one of the two is the better choice ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wait and see if HD-sho and HD-hbo come thru with the $10 pachage first. After you activate your HD, tune to the channels under 100 for hd-sho and hd-hbo. Some say these are included in the hd package. I havent checked yet meself, I havent been at home since I heard of this.

·
Registered
907 Posts
2nd vote for HBO. With shows like the Soprano's, The Wire, & Six Feet Under I am happy I made this choice. I have Showtime but rarely watch it.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
HBO and SHO are not part of the Hd package--they each have one HD channel that is available to subscribers with HD hardware. I think that Showtime's HD presentations are better, but HBO's programming is superior. I'd go with HBO if you have to choose.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I have both. I wouldn't give up either, but if I had to choose one, it would be HBO. I hate myself for saying that since HBO doesn't believe in showing movies in their original aspect ratio. Showtime does.

Another aspect to Showtime is that they provide Dolby 5.1 on ALL of their channels when it exists. HBO only provides it on their main East and West feeds. Only the main channel of each is HD, though.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randym431
Wait and see if HD-sho and HD-hbo come thru with the $10 pachage first. After you activate your HD, tune to the channels under 100 for hd-sho and hd-hbo. Some say these are included in the hd package. I havent checked yet meself, I havent been at home since I heard of this.
Wait all you want. Just don't hold your breath, or you'll turn blue.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Quote:
I have both. I wouldn't give up either, but if I had to choose one, it would be HBO. I hate myself for saying that since HBO doesn't believe in showing movies in their original aspect ratio. Showtime does.
Thats exactly how I feel. HBO definitely has better original programming and they show alot more in true HD than Showtime but I would love for HBO to show films in OAR the way Showtime does. That drives me crazy. That said I have both and watch HBO more but wouldn't want to part with either of them.

Mike

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Even if you are an OAR fanatic, HBO still shows enough 1.85:1 films in HDTV to make it worth the cost, imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.