Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I've recently found this forum, and am extremely pleased that I did. The depth & breadth of knowledge here is fantastic. On to my question...

Due to a recent move to a new apartment, I am forced to look for a new TV due to layout and space constraints. I definitley want an HDTV, and would like to get one as large as I can possibly fit. Quality is very important to me as well. The TV has to be placed on a large mantle thats about 4'w x 30"d and 46" off the floor. Because I'm forced to place the TV so high up to begin with I've mostly looked at direct views like the Sampo, Princeton, Philips, Sony, etc.

Yesterday I had 2 new opprtunities arise...The Mits WT-46807 will most likely fit since it's a table top model. Also, I have an opportunity to purchase an NEC 42MP2 plasma display for only a couple of hundred $ more than the Mits. However, I believe the NEC will only do 480p resolution, so it's not a true HDTV, is this correct? Any opinions or experiences with either of these TVs, or any other great suggestions, would really be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have the 46807 and I will say it is a great set. The height of the mantle sounds very unfortunate though. The ideal seating position would have your eyes at the middle of the screen. In this situation, seems the center of the tv would be about 3 or so feet above eye level. I sometimes sit on the floor in front of the couch and watch tv and the picture does get a little darker and not as wonderful as I would like. I would think going down another foot or so would make it that much worse. Maybe you could make some sort of a support system behind the tv to hold it tilted down slightly to compensate for your seating position.

Great tv though..highly recommended.

Neal

·
Registered
572 Posts
You're no doubt aware that the direct view 16:9 displays are quite deep. Keep in mind that they tend to be front heavy (the glass) as well. For off axis viewing this may be the best option in your situation.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the Hitatchi FDX43" and it is a table top model. It has an incredible piture with bright colors. It is a 4:3 but most of my viewing is that ratio. I have not hooked up a STB yet but it does have a line doubler built in that does a great job. It has two componet in and three s-video ins. I am not sure else what it has but it was $2000 when I bought it in October. I live in an apartment as well and it does not take up too much space. Its just a little wider than a 36" tube, but the weight is a lot less.

Its worth checking out. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Check out the Loewe Aconda. You can find info at www.sensoryscience.com. I did quite a bit of homework before buying and like you had a form factor that I had to meet. The Aconda is a 30" monitor that I could fit in my small armoire. I looked at many HDTV's and this had the best picture bar none. I bought the Phillips 30" first and then returned it as the picture was lousy (fuzzy). I had never heard of Loewe going into this (pronounced Lufra) but I've come to know they are a respected high-end German manufaturer. Anyways check it out.. not cheap though - $3600.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I second the endorsement of the Aconda. It has the best picture I have seen; great features and craftsmanship; and fits perfectly in my small spot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kraigk:
Check out the Loewe Aconda. You can find info at www.sensoryscience.com. I did quite a bit of homework before buying and like you had a form factor that I had to meet. The Aconda is a 30" monitor that I could fit in my small armoire. I looked at many HDTV's and this had the best picture bar none. I bought the Phillips 30" first and then returned it as the picture was lousy (fuzzy). I had never heard of Loewe going into this (pronounced Lufra) but I've come to know they are a respected high-end German manufaturer. Anyways check it out.. not cheap though - $3600.
I have the Aconda and agree with the endorsement as well. Great picture, nice cabinet, and compact. However, you won't find the Aconda on the Sensory Science website, which hasn't updated the site for what must be a very long time. You can find some information about the Aconda on the Loewe (roughly pronounced "lur-va") German website, which allows you to select "Englisch" if your German is, like mine, a bit rusty. Keep in mind that the configurations and model numbers on this site are for the European market; over here the details differ and the options are fewer.

http://www/loewe.de

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.