AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered this forum in my search for knowledge PRIOR to my 55" purchase. A couple of questions for my quest!

1) Buy integrated turner (Mitsu Platium) ? The salesman is really pushing NetCommand features, etc..

2) Gold Plus WITHOUT tuner and add external tuner?

3) Which external tuner?? Salesman is pushing Sony over Samsung! Store doesn't offer Zenith??

About to plunge into murky waters without unbiased knowledge and the salesman seems willing to sell me anything!!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KAD
Just discovered this forum in my search for knowledge PRIOR to my 55" purchase. A couple of questions for my quest!

1) Buy integrated turner (Mitsu Platium) ? The salesman is really pushing NetCommand features, etc.
This is not a bad idea. The big advantage is a Firewire output for D-VHS (or, in the future, hard drive) recording. It also has QAM tuner for unencoded cable DTV/HDTV.

The only drawback is no premium cable or DBS, like HBO etc. You would still need a STB from someone (Dish, DirecTV, cable) to receive these channels.

Dish Network is coming out with the Model 211, which will have Firewire and is designed to work with the Mitsu NetCommand system. The release date is not formally announced, but the best guess is it will be available by April '02.

Quote:
2) Gold Plus WITHOUT tuner and add external tuner?
The overwhelming majority of HDTV's are sold this way.

Quote:
3) Which external tuner?? Salesman is pushing Sony over Samsung! Store doesn't offer Zenith??
Both have their good/bad points. You would have to read the various topics stuck to the top of the page to see which seem more relevent to you.

FYI, the Zenith & Sony are the same box.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is there a reason you are sold on Mitsu ? They are probably the bottom of the pile of current HDTV's .. i'd buy an RCA before Mitsu today ..

Get a seperate non integrated tuner, many advantages .. Look at the Hitachi SWX series and Toshiba HDX series (i lean heavily towards Tosh for "value" they are great sets at a great price .. Hitachi is a tad better .. for $$$)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.