AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Toshiba 40H80 about a month ago along with the Toshiba DST 3000 and the oval dish for DirecTV. My installer has been to our house 4 times and we still can't get HDTV, though. He has separately brought back and tested the dish, the TV, the receiver. All work flawlessly at his shop. At my house we get strong signals for satellites A and B; ie. above 90 signal strength. We get all channels very well but get nothing for 199 and 509. The wiring from satellite to TV is new. Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Two things I learned on my Mits installation that may apply to you:

- If there is an "autoconfig" function on the box set-up menu, run it. Mine was showing strong signal strength on both satellites and no HD channels but in reality, the box/multiswitch was feeding the 101 strength to both meters until I ran this function. (the signal strengths were measuring the same which they should not).

- Wiring from the LNBs to the multiswitch is important. You can't switch side A and B pairs.

Good luck,

Mike...

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

[This message has been edited by MSaemisch (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
gdroth1,

It sounds like a wiring/diplexer problem. At the dish, double check all the cables, there should be four from the dish to the diplexer. Then one to the DST-3000 (I've got one too). Even if you check the Sat strength at the dish and both are ok. The receiver might not get both from the di-plexer down the line.

Another thought is there are 3 satellites close together. 101, 110, 119. You might be getting one wrong one. If you're off a bit.

Also, i've found the 3000 to be pretty quirky. I had a power outage the other day and it lost all the guide info? And i lost the local OTA channels too?? I had to go throught the setup menu to get it to download the guide date and OTA station info.

Good luck,

Ernie

[This message has been edited by santellavision (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your help. When I try to run autoconfigure it doesn't accept it and defaults back to round dish, from the oval dish 2 setting.

I had another installer come by my house yesterday for a consultation. He says that tree cover is shielding me from satellite B. For some reason the equipment is bouncing back to A when it can't read B (and is giving me an equally strong signal display for both A and B). In other words it is not reading B at all. He also said the wiring is screwed up and we have a multiplexer in the basement of house and diplexers in front of each TV. He claims that you must multiplex at the rooftop ahead of the 4X4 switch.

Is this plausible? I'm just a liberal arts type. Further help is appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.