AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building an HTPC HD PVR.

Based on some of the things I have been reading here, from a hardware standpoint I will need the following.

Case - Not worried about this because I won't have it in my component rack and it will be connected via IR

Motherboard - A good high quality Abit or ASUS motherboard

Processor - 2.4Ghz or higher

Memory - 512MB of the fastest memory I can get

HD - 2 drives, 1 for OS and applications, 1 for recording (200MB)

Video Card - ATI Radeon 9800

HDTV Card - Not sure which is the best of breed today

Sound Card - SB Audigy 2

DVD/CD Drive - Putting it in out of necessity

Keyboard and Mouse - Microsoft Bluetooth wireless

Questions:

Video Card: How good is good enough? Will going to the new ATI cards be worth it?

HDTV Card: What is the best of breed today?

SB Audigy: Does it suppord Digital Audio Output?

What am I missing and what should I change on my hardware ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Currently, I find the software for most of the HD capture cards to be lacking.

However, SageTV has some 'experimental' support for the AccessDTV which I'm using. It works well, and will control other SD tuners as well, in more of a tivo-like interface. It might be worth a look, though they haven't yet committed to future support of AccessDTV, and what they have no has a few minor bugs.

www.sage.tv for info.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Regarding the rest of your hardware... everything looks fine to me (and is overkill for all the 'hardware decode' HDTV cards), with only a couple of exceptions:

- The Audigy2 is good for gaming and is the only card that can play DVD-Audio. Otherwise, there are better choices (Revo, etc) with better sound or lower price.

- I am not familiar with MS BT keyboard. Many people use airboards (IR based... which can be used to remotely power you PC), or the Gyration mouse/keyboard combo with satisfaction...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I want out of my soundcard is the digital audio out. Is that option common? I haven't seen it in a sound card before.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
For HD Viewing or playing your HD PVRs (transport streams) - the MyHD has its own coax digital connection (or you can use any of the others). I use the on card one because it has the least problems. For other activities, you may need a sound card.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean that it has a coax digital connection? How does it connect to my Receiver as it doesn't have any coax connectors.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.